Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing Drive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Missing Drive

Hi Guys,

A bit of background context:

I have an NTFS SATA drive which I use as my Windows 7 system drive. A few days ago my computer decided to turn itself off as Windows was shutting down (thats an issue for another time). I didn't think much about it (after all, it's done it before and coped fine) until I went to restart - it gets past the BIOS but doesn't even begin to boot Windows due to some error or other.

So, being used to reinstalling Windows for various reasons, I went to boot up my Kubuntu partition but the hard drive has been starting to fail for a while now and I think it's finally killed itself.

-----------------------------------

To cut a long story short, I dug out an old 40GB IDE drive and managed to get it working with gOS (which as you probably all know is based on Ubuntu). And here lies my problem:

My Windows 7 drive shows up in gOS as a SCSI disk. When I double click on it in the file browser to mount it, I get the error "Unable to mount location: Can't mount file". It doesn't even show up in GParted (although I can see where it's supposed to be) - GParted shows drives sda, sdc and sdd.

Using the command fdisk /dev/sdb returns "Unable to open /dev/sdb", and using sudo fdisk /dev/sdb returns "Unable to read /dev/sdb". Using cat /etc/fstab gives the following:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    # /dev/sda1
    UUID=5806d88d-68cc-41c8-b478-02937b7603fb / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # /dev/sda5
    UUID=d7e99145-cc59-4832-9996-f2f710a48c92 none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
    And using sudo fdisk -l returns the following:

Disk /dev/sda: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4865 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xcef2284c

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 4701 37760751 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2 4702 4865 1317330 5 Extended
    /dev/sda5 4702 4865 1317298+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sdc'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sdc: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders
    Disk identifier: 0x00000000

/dev/sdc1 * 1 121602 976762583+ ee EFI GPT

Disk /dev/sdd: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
    Disk identifier: 0x815a524f

/dev/sdd1 * 1 60802 488383488 7 HPFS/NTFS
    Still no mention of sdb.

I just want to grab the files off my W7 disk so that I can nuke it and reinstall it. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    BrutalSpoon

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Missing Drive

Do you have a Windows 7 or Vista disc? I so, boot using disc, and choose "Repair." If the hard drive is OK, you should be able to recover.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by cwbar_1 View Post
    Do you have a Windows 7 or Vista disc? I so, boot using disc, and choose "Repair." If the hard drive is OK, you should be able to recover.
    Sorry, I should have given you more information - I have the W7 disc but it's apparently unable to repair it. All my restore points have conveniently disappeared, too. It appears my only option is to grab the files that I need and to format the drive, in which case I need to be able to mount it in gOS, which is why I've come to the ubuntu forums for help.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't really help me - is there anything else you could suggest?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I would try Puppy Linux. If that doesn't mount and read your drive you'll probably need a data recovery tool like testdisk.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by mechro View Post
    I would try Puppy Linux. If that doesn't mount and read your drive you'll probably need a data recovery tool like testdisk.
    I'll give it a try, but what makes Puppy Linux different to other distributions?

Beans
    Hidden!

if "sudo fdisk -l" doesnt show it, nothing will be able to retrieve any info off it afaics. It probably doesnt even show up in your bios, or does it?

Id suggest checking the bios for sata options (like disabling raid). If that doesnt help, opening your case, and checking cables, or connect the drive to a different sata header.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by P4man View Post
    if "sudo fdisk -l" doesnt show it, nothing will be able to retrieve any info off it afaics. It probably doesnt even show up in your bios, or does it?

Id suggest checking the bios for sata options (like disabling raid). If that doesnt help, opening your case, and checking cables, or connect the drive to a different sata header.
    Yes, it does show up in the BIOS. My motherboard for some reason displays all my hard drives as IDE devices (although 3 of the 4 which are connected are SATA drives), but all four of them show up in the BIOS. I put it down to the motherboard being one of the cheapest you could get with integrated graphics at the time (and therefore low quality) but that could just be me being naïve and not knowing what I'm talking about

I'll give Puppy Linux a go, then turn to testdisk if that doesn't work I suppose.

Thanks everyone for your help so far, I appreciate it

Beans

Its seems the /dev/sdd1 * 1 60802 488383488 7 HPFS/NTFS is the sdb drive your looking for. try this command below
    "sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdd1 /media/disk" in the terminal.
    make sure the folder /media/disk exist.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by live2learn View Post
    Its seems the /dev/sdd1 * 1 60802 488383488 7 HPFS/NTFS is the sdb drive your looking for. try this command below
    "sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdd1 /media/disk" in the terminal.
    make sure the folder /media/disk exist.
    Unfortunately sdd is not the hard drive I'm looking for. I have 4 hard drives in my current set up:

- A 40GB IDE drive which I'm using to run gOS (sda)
    - A 320GB SATA drive which I use to run W7 (sdb and the drive I'm trying to recover)
    - A 1TB SATA drive (sdc)
    - A 500GB SATA drive (sdd)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by BrutalSpoon View Post
    I'll give it a try, but what makes Puppy Linux different to other distributions?
    It works for me. There's less complications with file permissions, it'll just copy stuff till the cows come home. I wouldn't use it as a working desktop, that's obviously Ubuntu's job!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast