Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Missing Drive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Missing Drive

Does dmesg say anything about the drive?
    Code:
    dmesg | egrep 'scsi|sdb|SCSI|ata'
    5127d464-4548-4993-a138-f546f2fd2a33

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by mechro View Post
    It works for me. There's less complications with file permissions, it'll just copy stuff till the cows come home. I wouldn't use it as a working desktop, that's obviously Ubuntu's job!
    Ah, I see what you mean. I just booted off a Live CD and made some progress!

Its mount utility didn't do anything for me, but when I started up GParted it actually acknowledged that the drive was there, which was a start. It even allowed me to do a scan and it showed up the one partition with an error. On asking for information I got this:

Warning:

pread: Input/output error
    Failed to calculate number of free clusters: Input/output error
    Failed to mount 'dev/sdb1': Input/output error
    NTFS is inconsistent. Run chkdsk /f on Windows then reboot it TWICE!
    The usage of the /f parameter is very IMPORTANT! No modification was made to NTFS by this software.

ntfsresize v2.0.0 (libntfs 10:0:0)
    Error reading bootsector: Input/output error
    Failed to startup volume: Input/output error
    ERROR(5): Opening 'dev/sdb1' as NTFS failed: Input/output error
    NTFS is inconsistent. Run chkdsk /f on Windows then reboot it TWICE!
    The usage of the /f parameter is very IMPORTANT! No modification was and will be made to NTFS by this software until it gets repaired.

Unable to read the contents of this file system!
    Because of this some operations may be unavailable.
    What do you make of that? Unfortunately I no longer HAVE a version of Windows to run chkdsk on (unless you can do that using the install DVD like you can use disk utility on an OS X install DVD)

Beans
    Hidden!

its just saying it won't mount the ntfs volume because its "dirty", ie, it wasnt properly closed down. To retrieve files from it, you could try force mounting it manually as read only. not sure about the exact syntax, but google should tell you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by P4man View Post
    its just saying it won't mount the ntfs volume because its "dirty", ie, it wasnt properly closed down. To retrieve files from it, you could try force mounting it manually as read only. not sure about the exact syntax, but google should tell you.
    Well, I tried force mounting it without much success, so I'll try starting up with the windows disk again and try to run chkdsk on it (although I couldn't find it last time ) And see if that helps at all.

If it weren't for a few games, Windows Live Messenger (which I prefer in general to pidgin), Chrome and a few other applications I'd be very sorely tempted to just format it and stick ubuntu on it. Either way I still have to get my data off it first, though.

I'd like to thank everyone once more for their help - it's gotten me a lot closer to solving things than I'd ever get on my own!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by BrutalSpoon View Post
    Well, I tried force mounting it without much success, so I'll try starting up with the windows disk again and try to run chkdsk on it (although I couldn't find it last time ) And see if that helps at all.
    Perhaps chkdsk is Startup Repair on the disk... mentioned here...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...s-in-Windows-7
    Last edited by mechro; October 14th, 2009 at 12:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by mechro View Post
    Perhaps chkdsk is Startup Repair on the disk... mentioned here...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...s-in-Windows-7
    Unfortunately not - that just checks for the files that Windows uses to boot, and I wasn't even able to get that far with the drive.

--- Start TL;DR section here - Read at your own peril! ---

I did manage to get somewhere with the drive yesterday, though. I took it to a friend's place and he stuck it in an eSATA enclosure. We managed to get it recognised in Windows and it ran a quick chkdsk. When I got back home, I plugged it in and tried booting in to windows just on the offchance that it'd work - it did! It took 3 times longer than usual, and when I was finally able to log in I wasn't able to use it for very long - turns out C:/Program Files/Common Files was corrupted as well as some other files vital to the system, making it pretty unstable, but it was actually working.

As an aside, I wasn't able to hear it in my case but in the eSATA enclosure a clicking was clearly audible while the drive was doing a sequential read - this disk is on its way out. I'd been suspicious about this for a while but I don't really have the money to replace it, so I've been hoping that it'd be okay.

Fom this I was able to discover the disk using the W7 install disc, which allowed me to run chkdsk /f /r. It took all night, and it froze when scanning the last of the free clusters, but it was progress.

I was then able to actually force mount the disk and browse through it temporarily in puppy linux, although it managed to virtually kill the instance I'd booted off the Live-CD, let alone let me mount any of my other disks to copy over the files I needed. This disk is seriously messed up!

I'm now on a Linux-Mint Live-CD, but as of yet it's still unable to mount the bad disk. I'm going to boot off the W7 install DVD and run chkdsk again, but with only the /f parameter this time. It SHOULD be much quicker and do enough for me to force mount it in Linux-Mint so that I can grab the files I need. Safe to say I won't be using this drive for much afterwards, let alone as a system drive!

Luckily my friend happens to have freed up a 200gb disk of his from one of his backup systems and hopefully will be able to give it to me today.

Of course, none of this would have been overly problematic if I'd been smart enough to run backups - although most of my data is spread over my other disks and I try to keep only applications and system files on my system drive, there is still some data which is used by the applications themselves that has to be on the system drive. Nothing stopping me from backing it up, though!

This has spurred on my next project - a DIY NAS based on a mini-ITX PC which runs (almost) silently and contains 2 internal and 2 external drives - 2 for backups and 2 for data.

--- End TL;DR section here ---

I'd just like to thank everybody once more for all their ideas and help getting this sorted out. A gold star for each of you!

Without your help I'd still be wondering how the hell I'd ever be able to get at my data. I really appreciate it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

If you have trouble getting the drive to work when backing up to your new drive, you could always try the freezer trick...

http://www.emergingtechs.com/posts/p...-recover-data/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12