Thread: Newbie upgraded 7.10->8.04 and now suffers crash

Beans

Thumbs down Newbie upgraded 7.10->8.04 and now suffers crash

I have ran 7.10 for around 2 years on a Toshiba Portege 2000 laptop and everything's been fine. Now I decided to take the plunge and upgrade to 8.04. After the upgrade, Ubuntu freezes shortly after boot-up.

I get this far:

• Enter user details
    • Desktop is shown
    • Top menu and bottom bar shown, including menus and top right-hand icons
    • An icon appears top right saying a crash has been detected
    • Shortly (3-5 seconds) after that, the whole machine freezes and both mouse and keyboard become unresponsive.

I have tried starting in failsafe mode and also failsafe Terminal. Both freeze after approximately the same amount of time. I have tried ‘Alt + SysRq + K’ but no reaction. I have tried Alt + SysRq, and ‘R’ ‘E’ ‘I’ ‘S’ ‘U’ ‘B’ -- that does something but the system does not come back to a responsive state.

There are no attached devices to unplug.

I would appreciate help in trying to isolate the problem -- I thought I would be able to look at some log files in the failsafe Terminal mode but before I get a chance, the system freezes...

Beans

Re: Newbie upgraded 7.10->8.04 and now suffers crash

Boot in recovery mode and type

Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    Code:
    sudo apt-get -f install
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    There is no greater religion than a truth.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zvacet View Post
    Boot in recovery mode and type

Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    Code:
    sudo apt-get -f install
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Thanks zvacet. First of all a disclaimer: I am rather new to Linux so go easy on me...

I tried your suggestion. Unfortunately, I was not aware that the last command would need a network connection so the system started trying to download stuff when I only had a wireless connection (which wasn't working in recovery mode) and was just hanging on trying to get onto the net. A couple of days later, I managed to connect via wired ethernet and retried the same commands. This time, I got the message that there was nothing to update.

Please let me know if you have any other ideas, or if there are some files that I should clear out before I try your commands again -- since it did seem that they would have worked the first time if I only had a working Internet connection.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

What kind of system are you running. Please include processor, RAM, and any other OS's or partitions on your hard drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Here is a guide about EOL Upgrades It Means End OF Life Upgrades the 7.10 Is EOL This Might Help.

Guide Is Here For EOL Upgrades

Mike

Beans

Talking Re: Newbie upgraded 7.10->8.04 and now suffers crash

Quote Originally Posted by us3598 View Post
    What kind of system are you running. Please include processor, RAM, and any other OS's or partitions on your hard drive.
    It's a Toshiba Portege 2000 with a 750 MHz Mobile Pentium III Processor-M, 512 MB of RAM and a 20 GB (original Toshiba) hard drive. Only one partition, no other OS's. I have used either the in-built 802.11b card or a PCMCIA Netgear card -- both work. When I got the freeze, I tried disabling both but neither seem to cause the crash.

As I mentioned, I haven't had any problems for two years on 7.10 but as soon as I upgraded to 8.04 I got the freeze after the desktop had loaded (and subsequently also when starting in failsafe mode).

I could of course try a fresh reinstall but that would be quite a hassle, so grateful for any help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Try to boot from a live CD and mount your root partition:

Code:
    mkdir /mnt/root
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/root
    # or
    mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/root
    Then have a look in the log files located in /mnt/root/var/log.
    You'll be interested in:

* kern.log
    * daemon.log
    * Xorg.0.log (or Xorg.failsafe.log)
    * syslog
    * debug.log

See if you can find anything in those logs related to your problem.

Best of luck!
    Upgrade Ubuntu | Upgrade unsupported Ubuntu versions | Always backup | Howto upgrade flash
    Minimal CD install | Remove old kernels | My blog | Linux user #462801 | Conscience doth make cowards of us all. -- Shakespeare