Thread: Make a backup server from old computer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Make a backup server from old computer

Hi this is my first post ever on here or anywhere. I have been searching for 2 days now and have not found any useful information or tutorials that can help me with my needs. What i am trying to do is take a old Dell Dimension 2400 that i have and make it so its like a backup for all my files, video's, audio and such. I am running Ubuntu 9.04 on two computers on my network, and do not have the Dell set up yet. I would just like to simply send the files and, or take the files from The Dell when I need to over the network . If someone can help me out and tell me what I need, or point me in the right direction I would be very thankful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Make a backup server from old computer

ClassicMenu Indicator - classic GNOME menu for Unity
    Unsettings - configuration program for the Unity
    Privacy Indicator - easily switch privacy settings in Unity
    Arronax - create and modify app starters

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sickly View Post
    What i am trying to do is take a old Dell Dimension 2400 that i have and make it so its like a backup for all my files, video's, audio and such.
    Take a look at the rsync command. At the simplest level you can just open a share on your backup server and each workstation can then use rsync to back up into personal directories.

If you want more security and reliability then you can run the rsync daemon on the server and use rsync protocol from the workstations, or set up ssh on the back and use ssh in rsync. I like the rsync daemon because it seems to have excellent recovery on poor wireless links, others like ssh because it is very secure.

You could use bacula, back-in-time, unison or some other all-in-one backup solution on the workstations.

Personally, I prefer the backup to contain a mirror (or sequence of dated mirrors) of my filesystem, so I can retrieve any file from exactly where I expect it. I don't like compressed archives or any manipulation of my files.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for the replies. I didn't think I would get an answer so fast lol. But I forgot to mention that i cant run Ubuntu on the dell. It seems it cant handle it. the processor is descent for an old computer P4 2.6 GHZ but only 128 mb of RAM. I tried to install Ubuntu 9.04 twice but all it did was, well nothing. If you know of a good lightweight install that will be good for this let me know. I was lookin at ubuntu server but not sure if im ready for it. But i will read into these options you guys gave me. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

There is a free NAS OS you can you and I think it might work for you. It's called Free NAS. I have set one up on and old machine and it works really well. I was even able to connect windows XP to it and use offline files.

Noel
    Noel
    Running Pinguy OS 11.04, and I love it!!!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That machine should run ubuntu. You might need the server or alternative disk to install. I've an old dell inspiron 8200 laptop that I'm going to use as a backup server and it runs 9.04 (had both server and desktop at one time) fine.
    Laters...
    Sol
    "Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere" User numbers: Ubuntu 23772 Linux 477911

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by solitaire View Post
    That machine should run ubuntu. You might need the server or alternative disk to install. I've an old dell inspiron 8200 laptop that I'm going to use as a backup server and it runs 9.04 (had both server and desktop at one time) fine.
    This. I've run the server version on a POS 900 Mhz duron with 128MB RAM.

It didn't run very fast, but when all it's doing is sitting at the logon prompt, you're fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for all the replies guys but i have decided to go with Free NAS. So far its working out for me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by noelvh View Post
    There is a free NAS OS you can you and I think it might work for you. It's called Free NAS. I have set one up on and old machine and it works really well. I was even able to connect windows XP to it and use offline files.

Noel
    +1

I was ot aware of NAS OS and just wanted to say thanks!