Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Install programs to a different location

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Install programs to a different location

This is perfectly valid based on standard unix / Linux methodology. Typically /usr/local or /opt is used for programs installed outside of the main operating system install. These would normally be installed on a separate partition.

This doesn't however work so well using distro repositories (e.g. Synaptic / apt) to install the applications as the directories are already included in the package and typically point at /usr.

To install outside of the standard /usr location then you'll need to forgo the convenience (and the tweeks / compatibility testing) of Ubuntu packages and install the applications manually.

If you are lucky then there may be a binary package with an install script that can do this already or it may be as simple as untarring the binary file into the appropriate directory. You cannot normally use .deb packages.

If not then you will need to compile the programs yourself specifying the install path during the compilation (either by editing the Makefile, or by giving the appropriate command parameters when installing). This is normally explained in the INSTALL file contained within the source code.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Fabled One View Post
    But I guess I can't get around the fact that, ubuntu doesn't play nice with ntfs

Actually it's more like ntfs isn't feature rich enough to handle permissions of files, which is essential to programs in linux. It is really not a good filesystem compared to modern filesystems.

Also the config files are hidden in your /home

just open nautilus under /home/you and press ctrl+h and you'll see many hidden folders appear. Those directories hold config files for your currently installed applications and other stuff that you own (but cannot store anywhere else because you dont have right to it)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hmm... *** far as I know it should be possible to save a program somewhere else, however I am looking around these forums myself to find out exactly how. As far as I know the only thing the icon does is to tell where to find the program using pipes. I think you just have to change those pipes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by RegsaGC View Post
    Hmm... *** far as I know it should be possible to save a program somewhere else, however I am looking around these forums myself to find out exactly how. As far as I know the only thing the icon does is to tell where to find the program using pipes. I think you just have to change those pipes.
    No you can't change the location at all. The package says where it needs to go, full-stop.

Also with Ubuntu you can still have your home on the same partition and it will still be preserved adter a reibstall.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12