Thread: RAM or CPU?

Beans

Exclamation RAM or CPU?

Hello people!
    Okay, let me cut to the chase. I have a desktop PC (1,00GB RAM, 2,00GHz Single Core processor), and I'm looking for a cheap speed-up. I usually run a whole bunch of apps at once, so common sense dictates that buying more RAM would be the solution to my problem, but if you look at the fact, that I only have a 2,00GHz single core processor, it's only logical that THAT would be the solution. And I'm 10, so I don't have a whole lot of money, and really, I just want some tips before I go buying the wrong components.
    Thanks a lot!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: RAM or CPU?

RAM, imo. You can get 4 gigs for a fraction of the cost of a processor upgrade, and you'll likely see great benefits from it.

Rmember to check for motherboard compatability before purchasing!
    Ah nuts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I agree with Aped.

Beans

Ram, you will need 2.something to get the max performance.
    There is no real point in upgrading the CPU, since its more expensive.
    Unless you get one of AMD's cheap powerful CPU's(still more expensive than more RAM).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The short of it - putting more ram in it will give you the best bang for the buck.

Have the same setup - 2gHz single core P4 processor. 1GB ram. PC would slow down noticeably when running VirtualBox. This motherboard maxes out 2GB ram - bought enough ram to fill it up. It preforms much better now - and can give my virtual machine more memory too.
    UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn
    SystemRescueCd | Dual Boot | psychocats | FAQ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Another vote for ram. When you buy make sure it is compatible with your motherboard as well as your existing ram (if you intend to continue using the ram that you currently have). Otherwise, it would be best to replace all of the ram. Though this isn't to say that it will not work using two different types of ram, it's just more likely you'll run into issues that way.

Beans

those are good specs, I don't think you need to buy anything.
    you might consider changing your habits, like having a whole bunch of apps open, is it really needed?
    you can gain extra resources by using lighter stuff.
    save your money for collage & adapt to what you have.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Don't ever really need to upgrade the CPU unless it's bogging down everything else. RAM would be a great choice, 1GB is NOT too great, although it runs ubuntu fine (256MB is what DOESN'T run ubuntu fine, unless you're speaking server).

If you're playing graphic intensive games/eating graphic intensive pie/using graphic intensive programs you might want to check out a new graphics card too, those can make a difference.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

None above is right?
    From my expirence :
    1 Laptop with chipset and 1 gig ram working almost the same like with 2 gig.
    2 Adding stonger CPU give You only as more power as difrence bitween the some generation of CPU. But worth is CPU got next genration of kernel and batter cache example : change amd duron for amd athlon
    or change celeron (kernel nortwood) for p4 (with kernel prescoot) with large cache and faster fsb. // but is in smome macroscale/ still old socket and old chipset of motherboard

3 IMO best choice to have better performance on Yours system i get
    the best grapic card with atlist 256MB deicated ram ,what fit in too agp8 /pci2 slot,

4.becouse cost only fiew bucks and I am thinking that Yours core system is still good.
    Last edited by Sylslay; October 11th, 2009 at 11:00 AM. Reason: ok