Thread: USB HDD not mounting

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

solved

I have an external USB HDD, but when I connect it to my laptop, it won't mount; it gives me an error saying that it is formatted in FAT32 and the system doesn't recognise it. How can I fix this? I would reformat if I could, but don't know how to do that without mounting it.
    The strange thing is that if I put it inside my laptop and boot from it, it works perfectly!
    I want to transfer everything from the old one to the new (bigger) one, so it will replace my internal hard drive. The USB connector doesn't fit onto my old HDD, so I can't transfer that way. The only way I can see at the moment is a very laborious bit-by-bit transfer using a thumb drive.
    Anyone got any better ideas?
    Last edited by RichardCain; October 15th, 2009 at 03:58 AM. Reason: solved

Beans
    Distro

Re: USB HDD not mounting

Sorted!! While waiting for Karmic coming out later this month, I decided to look up a few other distros. I booted up "Mint" off CD, connected up my HDD and hey presto, it mounts no problem! Sorry, Ubuntu, but it's glitches like that that make me look elsewhere.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Glad you got it worked out. Just FYI, Mint is based on Ubuntu, so the problem was probably something oddly configured with your particular install. Stick with Mint if you like it, just didn't want you to unduly blame Ubuntu as a whole.

Beans
    Distro

I've noticed a few glitches creeping in lately, I can't play videos either, but I posted on that previously. Is it anything to do with the fact I'm still running Hardy (after all these years)? How do you find the new Karmic? Is there much improvement?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/karmic/beta#Download
    Yes, there are tons of improvements, you'll be amazed after coming from Hardy. The beta is quite stable for me, but your mileage may vary prior to official release.