Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Grub 2 Title Tweaks Thread

| My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Getting a lot of links on my little intro post.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Smile Re: Grub 2 Title Tweaks Thread

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    The line below should be added to /etc/default/grub to hide the recovery options.
    Code:
    GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_RECOVERY="true"
    You can make the 20_memtest86+ file in etc/grub.d/ non-executable, as was mentioned. This will inhibit the display of the installed parittion's memtest86+ option.

It doesn't appear that there is yet a similar entry available in this file to inhibit the display of memtest86+ for other partitions, which is the reason the tweak was added in this guide.

I'll edit the first post in emphasize how to disable memtest86+ and recovery displays in the main partition.
    Thank you--I didn't remember that it was there....
    "Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favourite lines from AVATAR
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Beans
    Distro

Post Re: Grub 2 Title Tweaks Thread

Yes--this needs to be a sticky.
    "Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favourite lines from AVATAR
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by autocrosser View Post
    Thank you--I didn't remember that it was there....
    I suspect there are a wide range of lines we don't yet know about. I seem to stumble on at least one a week. Eventually most of this thread will probably be eliminated as easier ways to incorporate the changes become known.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro

Post Re: Grub 2 Title Tweaks Thread

Yes---I'm waiting for SUM to get the abilities to do this stuff--I've talked to the developer in the past, maybe I'll drop him a line again to see how it is coming along.......
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    I suspect there are a wide range of lines we don't yet know about. I seem to stumble on at least one a week. Eventually most of this thread will probably be eliminated as easier ways to incorporate the changes become known.
    For instance, an easier way (at least for me) to remove the memtest lines for OTHER linux installs is to delete the memtest stanzas from the respective /boot/grub/menu.lst files. It appears that GRUB2 gets a lot of its information (using osprober) by reading it out of any appropriate menu.lst files it can find.

Hope that helps.....
    Sony vaio vgn-fw235j; Synaptics touchpad; triple boot: mint 12 64-bit; Precise 64-bit & Saucy 64-bit. 2TB external USB drive with more...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by scradock View Post
    For instance, an easier way (at least for me) to remove the memtest lines for OTHER linux installs is to delete the memtest stanzas from the respective /boot/grub/menu.lst files. It appears that GRUB2 gets a lot of its information (using osprober) by reading it out of any appropriate menu.lst files it can find.

Hope that helps.....
    scradock,

Nice info!

The advantage of your method is that users are, at least for now, still familiar with the menu.lst file and how to edit it. I placed comments (#) on the memtest86+ lines in the one old menu.lst I have on my system. The memtest option for that partition disappeared just as you said it would as soon as I ran update-grub.

The advantage of placing something in the script is that it won't change, and for multiple installs you only have to do it in one place instead of rooting out each menu.lst. It also would account for memtest entries in partitions without a Grub legacy menu.lst.

Your post might help solve another thing that has 'ranch hand' and I puzzled - the appearance of a "(memtest86+, serial console 115200)" entry. I only have one extra linux partition with a menu.lst entry. I'm wondering if a second menu.lst might generate such a designation...

Thanks again for the input.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast