Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimal Ubuntu

Beans

Minimal Ubuntu

I hate how Ubuntu is at the moment. Like most people I would like to be able to customize thier distros but also have ease of use. Meaning I would like to have no extra packaged and to be able to install my own file manager, windows manager, boot manager, and ect. However the only options I know of that allows the user to do this is installing ubuntu server edition or the minimal cd. Both of which however does require internet to set up. So my question is, is there anyway to wipe the desktop editions configuration to allow me to set ubuntu up the way I want; while keeping my ability to go wifi and my nvidia graphic driver. Thanks for any and all help that may follow.
    Last edited by Spigon; October 10th, 2009 at 02:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Minimal Ubuntu

Sure, remove packages you don't want and keep an eye open with what you remove so you don't remove important system files.
    Upgrade Ubuntu | Upgrade unsupported Ubuntu versions | Always backup | Howto upgrade flash
    Minimal CD install | Remove old kernels | My blog | Linux user #462801 | Conscience doth make cowards of us all. -- Shakespeare

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Use an alternate cd, hit f4 at the menu screen and select minimal installation. You will, however, need internet connection after thhe minimal system is installed, cause there are tons of window managers and it's impractical to put them all on cd.

I don't think wiping the desktop is a good idea, though removing some packages should be ok.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

You don't have an Ethernet cable you could plug into temporarily ?

Beans

Ya I do but the problem no cd that make minimal ubuntu easy supports wifi connections.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Spigon View Post
    Ya I do but the problem no cd that make minimal ubuntu easy supports wifi connections.
    really? it doesn't give you a option to select the device after "detect network devices" stage?
    is your wifi supported by the kernel or do you have to grab firmware?

i haven't done a ubuntu minimal in a while, but i was going to do one sometime next week. in the past the ubuntu used the same cli installer as debian, with a few changes to make it ubuntu. now i'm not sure if i should bother.

when i did my debian custom install(net install) over wireless, i just select it, the next window asks for the name, then it asks for the password.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Spigon View Post
    So after you get your GUI going and synaptic installed, just install a network manager. I start with Ubuntu minimal and I'm running on a laptop. I just installed network-manager on top of gnome-core.

Beans

Yea but the whole network-manager installed with gnome core defeats my purpose. I don't want gnome anything lol. I just want a ubuntu that has icewm, slim log-in manager, xfe/pcman/thunar file manager (still choosing), and swiftweseal with my nvidia driver and wifi access.
    Last edited by Spigon; October 10th, 2009 at 03:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Maybe you could try Wicd? It's in the repos (wicd).

Beans
    Hidden!

Okay, so install a different network manager. Wicd Network Manager has no gnome reliance, so that might do what you want. Search google, your repositories, or sourceforge for others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast