Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows XP won't install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Windows XP won't install

I've encountered a very rare site today. I was setting up my parents new computer and it wouldn't take Windows XP at all (the install process always ended with a blue screen of death). My father bought the computer from a dealer in Israel (something I advised against but my dad saw a deal and jumped on it). It's a Lenovo Desktop (sorry I don't remember the modle number). After numerous different attempts to try install Windows XP (My mother refuses to use ANY other OS because she couldn't be bothered to take the time to learn anything else), I decided to check if there was a problem with the hardware. I put in my father's Kubuntu CD and installed Kubuntu 9.04 (without a hitch). When I tried to install Windows XP again over Kubuntu, I got the same BSOD (ARGH!!!).

Does anyone know why Windows would fail to install but Kubuntu installs without any problems at all? This is a fairly new Lenovo Desktop (there wasn't any dust at all on any component inside the box), but it is a Jewish model (I say this as it came with a Hebrew keyboard, and the manual was in English and Hebrew). Is Windows region coded? How can I install Windows on this damn machine (sorry running Kubuntu or ANY other OS is not an option, I wish it was but it isn't)?
    "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
    - Martin Golding

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Windows XP won't install

IMO, the hard drive may have bad sectors. In my experience, Linux tends to play nicer in such a situation than Windows.

I actually just had a similar situation at work. Windows kept giving me BSOD. So, I installed Ubuntu to check things out. Ubuntu was fine, not even a hiccup. After further investigation with smartmontools, I discovered bad sectors on the drive.
    "Anybody who tells me I can't use a program because it's not open source, go suck on rms. I'm not interested. 99% of that I run tends to be open source, but that's _my_ choice, dammit." -- Linus Torvalds, 2004.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I would suggest you install Vista or wait until Oct 29th and grab a copy of Windows 7, it wouldn't surprise me if there was some weirdness in the bios to stop XP from being installed.

Beans

This is probably meant for a Windows forum, but I've recently have had problems with the "Blue Screen of Death". My best suggestion would be to research the error message on the blue screen and see what you come back with. You can also check Windows HCL site to see if the hardware installed is compatible. Maybe the the foreign parts but that's a real stab in the dark... LOL
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx
    hope this helps.

Beans
    Hidden!

It's the drivers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I would suggest you install Vista or wait until Oct 29th and grab a copy of Windows 7, it wouldn't surprise me if there was some weirdness in the bios to stop XP from being installed.
    That's a joke right?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

That's usually a good reason for a blue screen, but if it is a white box oem copy of XP it should install without blue screening. Drivers for sound video and networking will probably have to be installed to get everything to work properly, unless the hardware is so new that there are no XP drivers available.

Beans

Windows XP won't install
    Yay! lol
    Registered Ubuntu user #28880

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    That's usually a good reason for a blue screen, but if it is a white box oem copy of XP it should install without blue screening. Drivers for sound video and networking will probably have to be installed to get everything to work properly, unless the hardware is so new that there are no XP drivers available.
    Low cost computer at a discount with new hardware? Usually don't happen. ^.^
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I recently set up a system with an ECS all-in-one motherboard with the cpu soldered to the mb, the manufacturer didn't have any XP drivers available for the audio device. This motherboard with cpu retails for about $80.00CDN, that's pretty cheap to me.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast