Thread: Updates

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Updates

Hi all,

I am in the process of taking over the Kansas Launchpad team from JoshuaRL... He has done an outstanding job and with his continued assistance I hope we can get this fired up.

If you are not already a member of the Kansas Launchpad team please join here:

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-kansas

We have a long and tough road ahead of us and with everyone's assistance (no matter how small or limited) I am sure we can get Kansas fired up and rolling...

I am not sure what is going on with this area as the current admin has fallen off the map and the last I heard, he is not even using linux any longer.

Hopefully we can get this area rocking as well as the Launchpad!

Feel free to PM me here or email me at ksouma -at- linuxx.us if you want more information.

Lets get Kansas back up and rolling!!!!!

Thanks

Kris
    Registered Linux User: 433263
    Registered Ubuntu User: 9010

Beans
    Distro

Re: Updates

It's nice to see some changes being made, it's been so quite here in Kansas.
    What ever anyone need... let me know and I will see what I can do. !!!!!
    I have been trying to pull some other Ubuntu Users I know in to the LOCO.

Beans

I would also like to help out in any way that I can.

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm in (and joined).

On the KS launchpad page, how does one put a pin on the Map (wichita)?
    Last edited by raymondh; December 18th, 2009 at 04:56 PM.
    "The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it" .... A. Glasow

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Bump...

Everyone can feel free to contact me... raqball -at- gmail. c o m

Lets see if we can get this up and running...

Maybe we can have a work on bugs week... A answer new user posts week... ect...

Ideas???

Kris
    Registered Linux User: 433263
    Registered Ubuntu User: 9010

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I am a mid-career professional living in Lawrence. In anticipation of replacing my home/business Windows PC last year, I did a lot of research on Ubuntu hardware and software compatibility, then finally bit the bullet immediately after the release of Karmic. I bought an inexpensive new AMD-64-powered tower, took the free Windows Vista upgrade, reduced the Windows partition and installed a new encrypted partition for several logical volumes, installed Ubuntu for dual boot, installed some security apps (e.g. Firestarter) and then installed my business apps (all open source.)

I am generally pleased with my decision to escape the Microsoft / Norton Symantec world, but the transition has not been as smooth as I would have liked. Despite my research, I was really unprepared for the number of software bugs that I encountered. Some of these were already noted in the Forums. Others, I was the first to report. Months later, several still have not been addressed or solved. I am not a systems administrator or a hobbyist. I just need to get my work done. From time-to-time, I am willing to tweak the system or write a little code if I need to, but I've got a lot at stake in 99% availability.

I think that the prevalence of "98% solutions" is a serious impediment to spreading the Ubuntu faith. If we are to grow the Ubuntu community (in Kansas and the world) we need to work together to ensure the productivity of newcomers who take the risk to invest their time in converting. I would be happy to work with the Kansas LoCo toward that goal.
    Last edited by Ron_; March 5th, 2010 at 08:24 PM.

Beans

Ron,

There are a number of local LUGS in your area. KCLUG, NCKLUG, K-SLUG, KULUA, and one based out of Lawrence itself. Currently if you'd like to drop by irc.freenode.net and drop into any one of them, we'd love to see you. Getting involved in a local LUG is the first step to spreading Ubuntu. LUGs can provide enormous support when running into problems, because they are visual and audio.

Dale