Thread: WiFi problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

WiFi problems

I have a installed Ubuntu 9.04 on a Dell Pentium 4 laptop with an NEC Warpstar Aterm WL54AG Triple Wireless Lan Card that works great if the signal is extremely strong. If I am in the same room as the router, fine. However, when I go upstairs, even though the signal meter shows over a 50% signal, I cannot connect. However, I have no problems with Windows XP with the same or even a lesser signal. Is there anything I can do to rectify this?

Beans
    Distro

Re: WiFi problems

Bump.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by BigD77 View Post
    I have a installed Ubuntu 9.04 on a Dell Pentium 4 laptop with an NEC Warpstar Aterm WL54AG Triple Wireless Lan Card that works great if the signal is extremely strong. If I am in the same room as the router, fine. However, when I go upstairs, even though the signal meter shows over a 50% signal, I cannot connect. However, I have no problems with Windows XP with the same or even a lesser signal. Is there anything I can do to rectify this?
    Try going to System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers, and see if there's a propriety driver that can be installed. also, run a "sudo apt-get upgrade"
    :wq

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by c0mput3r_n3rD View Post
    Try going to System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers, and see if there's a propriety driver that can be installed. also, run a "sudo apt-get upgrade"
    The only driver available is the "Madwifi" driver. Don't know if that will work with a NEC Warpstar Aterm WL54AG Triple Wireless Lan card (PCMCIA Card type). The laptop didn't come with onboard wifi.

Tried to upgrade, got nothing to remove or upgrade.