Thread: What exactly is backlight in laptops?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

What exactly is backlight in laptops?

I'm trying to track back a possible bug related to my video card.
    I was searching for clues on Launchpad and came across many threads with word "laptop backlight" mentioned.
    Since English isn't my mother tongue, I don't know if this term is related to any laptop video screen, or it is kind of special feature not every model has.

Can you please explain me?

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: What exactly is backlight in laptops?

I think all laptops with LCD displays have backlights. It illuminates the screen, so you can see the image even in the dark. If the backlight is broken, there is still an image on the screen but it is harder to see, especially when there is not much light in the room.

Beans
    Hidden!

Well if you have an older gameboy (advanced for example) model, you'll notice you can't play in the dark. This is due to the lack of backlight, however with a newer model (SP, micro) or a DS, PSP or modern phone you can play in the dark due to the backlights presence. Also Brightness is fixed (really dim) without a backlight, whereas in newer machines you can toggle the brightness.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm getting you. So it's not any external source of light located on laptop case, right?
    Why is it call "backlight", not just "light"; the name makes think about something different than a normal light

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

From wiki-wiki-wikipedia: "A backlight is a form of illumination used in liquid crystal displays (LCDs). Backlights illuminate the LCD from the side or back of the display panel, unlike frontlights, which are placed in front of the LCD."

An example of backlight vs frontlight is laptop vs. Kindle

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by mkendall View Post
    From wiki-wiki-wikipedia: "A backlight is a form of illumination used in liquid crystal displays (LCDs). Backlights illuminate the LCD from the side or back of the display panel, unlike frontlights, which are placed in front of the LCD."

An example of backlight vs frontlight is laptop vs. Kindle
    Thank you.
    I can't exactly understand what you mean by "kindle", but the whole concept is now much more clear to me, than it was before.

Thanks