Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Atheros AR9285 Wireless

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Atheros AR9285 Wireless

Quote Originally Posted by jeannacav View Post
    thank you t0mppa,
    What is alarming me is that after I get that message, I am NO LONGER able to type anything.
    I got around it one time by ignoring the 'sudo' and just giving the command, but it only worked that one time.

If you have any ideas on how to get me to work as the sudo, please let me know.
    Can't type anything after the permission denied message? That sounds very odd. Or did you mean after using sudo? If the latter, using sudo prompts you for your password, which isn't printed on the screen for obvious safety reasons.

Since it actually prints nothing (not even *'s, so anyone else watching over your shoulder can't figure out how long your password is) on the screen when you're typing in your password, it might seem like you're unable to type anything, but once you've typed your password and press enter, it continues doing its job, granted your password was correct.

Quote Originally Posted by jeannacav View Post
    @Wrathe,
    It was the backports command that made me use the sudo. I had to give up at that point.

BTW would you do me a favor and change the [solved] back to [ubuntu] until this wireless problem gets fixed?

I ask that because this thread is really a precursor for what needs to follow. = the fix, and the programmers who can fix this need to not ignore it, which they might do if they see the [solved] label. thanks.
    This isn't a forum read actively by programmers, at least not in the role of fixing things reported broken here. If you want to file a bug report, you should go to Launchpad instead.

This forum simply consists of helpful people who spend some of their free time helping others to get things working, none of whom (as a rule of thumb, of course they might be some exceptions) has any official ties to Linux, Ubuntu or the packages used in it. To have a solved tag in this thread simply means that since this is a guide, it isn't a problem left unsolved.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by t0mppa View Post
    Can't type anything after the permission denied message? That sounds very odd. Or did you mean after using sudo? If the latter, using sudo prompts you for your password, which isn't printed on the screen for obvious safety reasons.

Since it actually prints nothing (not even *'s, so anyone else watching over your shoulder can't figure out how long your password is) on the screen when you're typing in your password, it might seem like you're unable to type anything, but once you've typed your password and press enter, it continues doing its job, granted your password was correct.
    Thank you.
    Perhaps I stopped before finishing. I will try again.

This isn't a forum read actively by programmers, at least not in the role of fixing things reported broken here. If you want to file a bug report, you should go to Launchpad instead.

This forum simply consists of helpful people who spend some of their free time helping others to get things working, none of whom (as a rule of thumb, of course they might be some exceptions) has any official ties to Linux, Ubuntu or the packages used in it. To have a solved tag in this thread simply means that since this is a guide, it isn't a problem left unsolved.
    Oh I see.
    I love people helping people, so that is wonderful.
    I have used launchpad, so now I see the distinction.

Thank you,

jeanna

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you Wrathe! I can now get 100% signal strength on my Asus 1005HA (I would never get above 70-80%, even 3 feet from a router) - however, for my particular machine, I needed to use the "bleeding edge" drivers. See
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...14&postcount=5

To all the posters who had good luck with the backports, I'm happy for you, but they did not work on WPA networks for me. WEP was slightly better - although I would even lose a wireless connection from my MacBook (sharing a 3G card from the MacBook in a remote area) with the machines almost touching; only unsecured networks were problem-free. Now (fingers crossed) everything seems to be working as it should.

Beans

I have the same problem with my Atheros AR9285 Wireless card on Ubuntu 9.4 and would love to use one of the methods here. Unfortunately my eth0 (AR8132) is misidentified by 9.4, so I don't have the option of using "sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-jaunty". I tried the original post by Wrathe. I successfully downloaded the file on my other computer, then copied it to my laptop. I did the make, make install, and make unload. After a restart I didn't think it worked because it took several minutes, then a list of available wireless networks poped up. Fantastic!! I have been working on this for a couple of days. Now to get the wired network up. But the wireless was the most important!
    Thanks Wrathe!
    Update 1: After being able to apply all the updates from 2.6.28-11 to 2.6.28-16 using the wireless network, my wired eth0 started working!
    Update 2: (12-4-09): After I updated the kernel to 2.6.28-16, the wired connection worked but the wireless stopped working. So I re-installed Ubuntu 9.4. Then again I had no networking. I went through the compat-wireless-2.26.30 procedure again, and wireless worked. Using the wireless network I installed available Ubuntu 9.4 upgrades, which brought my kernel up to 2.6.28-17. I restarted the system, and wired worked but wireless no longer worked. So I went through the compat-wireless-2.26.30 procedure again, and now wireless is working. So now both wired (eth0) and wireless are working. I am going to keep the compat-wireless-2.26.30 package handy in case I need it again after updating Ubuntu 9.4, because I like 9.4 a lot better than 9.10.
    Last edited by gradyjohnson; December 5th, 2009 at 06:35 AM. Reason: new information

Beans

People have asked me about my kernel.

It might make a difference...

And it might not.
    Mine wireless worked for a while, but even though I have 100% signal, I cannot get on today. My system has tried 7 or 8 times.

There is something wrong here, but I guess it is hard to find... or solve.

jeanna

Beans
    Hidden!

I had ubuntu 9.04 and the wireless was working ok on kernel 2.6.28-15 but after updating the kernel to 2.6.28-16 and 2.6.28-17 the wireless did not work, when I made "lspci | grep -i wireless " it did not show any thing so I modefied the menu.list in the /boot/grub to boot using the kernel 2.6.28-15 and it worked again, I cannot work on the new kernels.
    Do u have any ideas ???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi, Wrathe.

i just created a page on the Ubuntu Support pages for this wifi card. Please look it over and see if you approve!

You can find it here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...Atheros/AR9285

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

i'm still having problems with my wifi AR9285 on studio 9.10 64bit.

out of the box, it recognised my wifi card. however, when i enable it, it is requiring my to enter an ssid and configure ip/dns/etc. my wifi access point will not show up in wifi radar.

i've tried this solution as well as the backports. but when i try backports and this solution, i don't even see a wifi adapter under network.

what else could i try and/or what could i be missing?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by t0mppa View Post
    I guess you missed the part on the page about simply installing the linux-backports-modules-jaunty (replace jaunty with karmic or hardy or whichever version you happen to use) with apt-get or Synaptic, since that's a version of the latest compat-wireless prebuilt by the Ubuntu kernel team.
    For Ubuntu 9.10, linux-backports-modules-karmic didn't work. After makeing and installing the new drivers, it works at 100%. I definitely recommend installing the drivers from linuxwireless.org.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Atheros AR9285 Wireless - still need assistance

i got to this point:

Download a stable release (I downloaded compat-wireless-2.6.30.tar.bz2) from the following website to your desktop:
    http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Download/stable/

downloaded and extracted it, but am not quite following the instructions on the linux wireless site:

code:

cd /path/to/compat-wireless-2.6.32-rc5
    ./scripts/driver-select <driver-name>
    make
    sudo make install

the last part makes no sense to me. i am using comwireless-2.6.30, so i
    can figure out to sub in that name in the code, but i am lost starting
    with the period, and getting errors. what is the <driver name> that i'm looking for??

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast