Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Atheros AR9285 Wireless

Beans

Re: Atheros AR9285 Wireless

Hi all.
    I just wanted to share my success, thanks to all of you who started this thread and got me on the right track. I have an Asus UL30A with an intermittent signal.
    So I went to the stable site and got the latest.
    http://www.orbit-lab.org/kernel/comp...2.6.33.tar.bz2

This is the only one that worked for me since I have a x86_64 system. I had to connect with an ethernet cable but it was worth it since I just followed the simple steps and now it seems to work perfectly.

Kudos to all that came before me.

Notes: Ubuntu 910 64 Bit system and Atheros AR9285 wlan card.

Beans

on 32-bit ubuntu 8.10 this works, BUT if use torrent(with high speed) computer freezes randomly
    looks like more work needed on drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

thanks gromiko I have been running different ath9k drivers and wifi on my sony vaio VPCCW21FX has been very slow... also in a 64 bit intel system. those drivers you recommended have improved my wifi web browsing exponentially!
    MICROSOFT FAMILIARITY BREEDS CONTEMPT!

Beans

Exclamation Re: Atheros AR9285 Wireless

I just wanted to share this. I was pulling my hair out. Well, I don't have much, but you get the point.

I have a compaq cq-60 615dx w an Atheros AR9250

Wireless worked when booted in windows. But I couldn't get it to work with any of the backports-modules when I booted to Karmic.

I tried the versions in Synaptic. I tried building my own. I was ready to *attempt* to compile my own kernel when I ran across a message somewhere from an eee user stating they had to enable wireless in bios. I looked, just to cross it off the list. When I set the boot options to allow network booting on startup with my backport-modules installed... VIOLA!
    (maybe it starts the card earlier in the boot?? But, it worked for me.)
    I just wanted to share this, to maybe save some headaches for those of you who, like me, couldn't see results following every lead possible.

-Craig in Boston
    Last edited by bostoncraig; April 19th, 2010 at 06:58 PM.

Beans

Dear timjayko, I tried the solution you said worked for you, but I'm still having issues with my wifi.. It is really slow and works intermittently... Could you please post the steps for installing the driver for a newbie? I thought I installed it correctly, but it had no effect on the behavior..
    Thanks in advance,
    Ubuntu newbie.

PS: I have a VPCCW21FX, ubuntu 9.10 freshly installed ( Linux rafael-laptop 2.6.31-20-generic #58-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 12 05:23:09 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux )
    Last edited by rsisto; April 19th, 2010 at 08:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have the same problem. The Wireless works sometimes, but only very slow and very often the speed goes down to absolute 0. I hoped the bleeding edge drivers would change that, but I still have to wait forever for pages to load completely.
    I checked if the new drivers were loaded with modprobe -l and it looked okay. I also tried Karmic's and Lucid's backport modules but they did not have any effect either.
    Wired internet works like a charm and I already tried all the common IPv6 stuff you can find everywhere on the internet. It's definitely not a DNS problem.

I'm thinking about putting Windows on my machine to test if the Wireless card is broken and if not, I'll probably just stay with it. I had it with those problems.

Beans

Hi All

I have an acer inspire one, with ubuntu 10.04 netbook installed. My wireless connection is disabled.

Which compat-wireless tarball do I install? There is a choice of 3
    My kernel is 2.6.32-22 generic

Some help would be greatly appreciated
    Graham

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I usually download the bleeding edge compat-wireless driver regularly and compile it for my current kernel.
    However this does not solve my issues at all, even though it's the newest open-source drivers you can get as far as I can tell, without risking having additional bugs because of a bad commit from the developers.

I still didn't get around to install Windows...

Beans

hi
    So which one do I use for my kernel?
    thanks
    graham

Beans

rsisto, I have the same VAIO and had the same problem with ubuntu 10.04 and the 2.6.32-22-generic kernel... i tried everything and the only thing that worked was to compile and install compat-wireless-2.6.35-rc2... i know this is not intented for the kernel i have but this solved the issue for me!! i downloaded from linuxwireless and the run the default process: driver-select, make, make install, make unload, /etc/init.d/networking restart and the modprobe ath9k and it worked like a charm!!! the only remaining issue is that after computer restarts the problem comes again, i re-install the module and it works again!... i'm suspending rather than shutting down until i found a solution for that but my wifi is Ok!.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast