Thread: Atheros AR9285 Wireless

Beans

Re: Atheros AR9285 Wireless

[quote=Wrathe;8127935]I tried that. It says:

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package linux-backports-modules-jaunty

That is exactly what it is saying to me too that it couldn't find package linux-backports-modules-jaunty..... I am soooo new to this that I am sure it is something on my end. I just got an Asus EEE PC 1005 with XP, and wanted to try this whole Linux thing out to prove to my nerdy bf that I can at least appear to know what I am doing with computers Anyhow, I downloaded UNR from Wubi-install.org and everything went fine except it does not recognize my wireless connection as it does when i switch back to xp. It took me forever to figure out what in the world a terminal was so i could enter all these codes into it, but I figured it out! But nothing has worked to make it see my wireless card. So can anyone help me out?? I don't know what to do next?? Please dumb down your answers as much as possible, thank you!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Finally! It works Used the command in the second post here with karmic and it installed fine. after a reboot the wireless was up and running. Thanks a lot
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-karmic

Beans

It worked for me too with an Atheros AR5700EG in Karmic.

A million thanks!!!

Beans

Smile Re: Atheros AR9285 Wireless

Thank you Wrathe, your instructions were just what I needed - I could not use Synaptic since I had no networking (my onboard eth wasnt working either) so I just downloaded the files, dumped over using a USB key, and it worked great!

Thanks again for helping the community!

/\/\ike

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathe View Post
    If you have an Atheros AR9285 wireless card on Ubuntu 9.04 and cannot get it working, this is for you.

Ubuntu did not automatically detect my card (AR9285) and spent many hours trying to figure this out. The purpose of this is to show you how to get your Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter working without those many hours of finding the wrong answers.

It is very simple.

Download a stable release (I downloaded compat-wireless-2.6.30.tar.bz2) from the following website to your desktop:
    http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Download/stable/

Open up Terminal and type:
    (It tells you all this on the website that you download it from.)

Restart.
    Click on the wireless icon in the top right corner of the screen and logon to your wireless network.

Fin!
    Thank you wrathe,

I know how much time you saved me and I appreciate the help.
    I had to download it from this acer 5515 which worked seamlessly at the install, and transfer it with a flash stick to the new acer 5517 which has (had) neither wired or wireless.

I now have the leisure to get the wired part fixed.
    But later for that.
    First... thank you a lot.

jeanna

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathe View Post
    If you have an Atheros AR9285 wireless card on Ubuntu 9.04 and cannot get it working, this is for you.

Ubuntu did not automatically detect my card (AR9285) and spent many hours trying to figure this out. The purpose of this is to show you how to get your Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter working without those many hours of finding the wrong answers.

It is very simple.

Download a stable release (I downloaded compat-wireless-2.6.30.tar.bz2) from the following website to your desktop:
    http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Download/stable/

Open up Terminal and type:
    (It tells you all this on the website that you download it from.)

Restart.
    Click on the wireless icon in the top right corner of the screen and logon to your wireless network.

Fin!
    OK fin,

Here is the continuation.
    I got this to work last night.
    Then using the wireless, I used the update manager.
    I had to restart and when I did...
    Then it- the wireless- broke.

I can now get the wired to work (I think this was a fix available from the update manager) but the wireless is not allowed.

I am supplying some terminal information.
    I decided to run through the same paces that I did yesterday to get this stable file installed, since when it was freshly installed, it worked.

--------------------
    ...~/Desktop$ cd compat-wireless-2.6.30
    ...~/Desktop/compat-wireless-2.6.30$ make
    make: Nothing to be done for `all'.
    ...~/Desktop/compat-wireless-2.6.30$ make install
    FATAL: Could not open /lib/modules/2.6.28-16-generic/modules.dep.temp for writing: Permission denied
    make: *** [uninstall] Error 1
    --------------------

So, I think I am against a wall, here.
    But, I think there is a solution somewhere...

Also, the only difference I could see in the bios between these 2 machines (as far a internet goes) is this 5517 has the Atheros network Boot agent, and the 5515 has the Realteck boot agent. Maybe that makes a difference??

down this page, someone did a linux-backports-modules install or something.
    When I do that I get:

-------------
    ~$ apt-get install linux-backports-modules
    E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
    --------------
    ummmm I dunno.
    I am getting permissions denied for regular things too. I am beginning to be alarmed.

thanks,

jeanna

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Permission denied is just a message saying that you can't accomplish whatever you tried to do with your normal user account, i.e., you need the elevated privileges of root account and thus have to use sudo in front of the command.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I think the backport will work if the system is up to date.

Beans

Can anyone confirm that the AR9285 actually works continuously after either method (backports or the OP solution)? I have a Toshiba NB205, and every linux distro I've tried (Moblin 2.1, OpenSuSE 11, SLED 11.1, Fedora 11, Debian 5, Ubuntu 9.04) drops my wireless connection like a hot potato; the card will connect, then drop after a variable amount of time, reconnect, drop again... ad nauseum. It works fine under the various and sundry Windows variants, but I'd rather run something else other than Windows on it if possible.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by t0mppa View Post
    Permission denied is just a message saying that you can't accomplish whatever you tried to do with your normal user account, i.e., you need the elevated privileges of root account and thus have to use sudo in front of the command.
    thank you t0mppa,
    What is alarming me is that after I get that message, I am NO LONGER able to type anything.
    I got around it one time by ignoring the 'sudo' and just giving the command, but it only worked that one time.

If you have any ideas on how to get me to work as the sudo, please let me know.

@Wrathe,
    It was the backports command that made me use the sudo. I had to give up at that point.

BTW would you do me a favor and change the [solved] back to [ubuntu] until this wireless problem gets fixed?

I ask that because this thread is really a precursor for what needs to follow. = the fix, and the programmers who can fix this need to not ignore it, which they might do if they see the [solved] label. thanks.

@neoantherthal,

In fact, it seems to be doing that here as well.
    There is a light that blinks throughout the booting process, but cuts out after the boot is finished.
    But that said, I did have the wireless working until I added the latest updates and rebooted. Since then it has never stayed connected after boot.

thank you,

jeanna
    Last edited by jeannacav; November 20th, 2009 at 08:50 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast