Thread: Epson Perfection V30 Scanner

Beans

Epson Perfection V30 Scanner

Hello all! Longtime linux user, first time Ubuntu user here. Cool distro so far, but I've hit a little snag.

Before I begin, yes I've searched the forums and Google already, and no, my problem hasn't already been described, at least not as far as I can tell.

I'm trying to get an Epson Perfection V30 USB scanner to work on Kubuntu 9.10 beta. Installed libsane, xsane, iscan, and proprietary sane backend from Avasys. Edited /etc/sane.d/dll.conf, etc., etc. Scanner works fine as root, but no dice for ordinary users.

Here's the output of scanimage -L as both user and root:

Code:
    scanimage -L
    device `epkowa:interpreter:002:003' is a Epson (unknown model) flatbed scanner
    Code:
    $ sudo scanimage -L
    device `epkowa:interpreter:002:003' is a Epson Perfection V30 flatbed scanner
    I checked, and the 'scanner' group didn't exist, so I created it, added users to it, still no luck. Strangely, my /etc/udev/rules.d/ doesn't contain any rules for the scanner. Should I write some? How would I do that? I'm a total udev noob.

Another suggestion I found on Google was to set permissions in /proc/bus/usb/, but that folder is empty for me.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys have.

Beans

Re: Epson Perfection V30 Scanner

Two new things:

Code:
    sudo chgrp scanner /dev/bus/usb/001/008
    Fixes it temporarily, but I still need a udev rule to make it so I don't have to run the command every time I reboot.

2. I seem to have contracted the ever-increasing device number problem.

Beans

Hi! I was just wondering on another thread if anyone's had any success with Avasys, specifically with the V30. Regarding your specific issue, I don't know much about udev either, but I did notice that when you download from Avasys for the V30, there's a big warning link that takes you to a workaround for Mandriva and Debian, so I'm guessing this might affect Ubuntu as well. In fact, the workaround involves modifying some udev rules. Maybe give it a shot?

http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/faq/id000623.php

Beans

Trying to warm up this seemingly dead thread....

So, I have a epson V30 as well, and i am seeing the same issues on my Karmic Koala installation...I can run my scanner fine as sudo, but not as a regular user. That is obviously not healthy.

This started only after I upgraded to 9.10 from 9.04 though, it was working fine before that. So did anyone on this thread figure this out? Please let me know...

Beans

Sorry, no help with upgrade details. I'm a first time Ubuntu user, 9.10 -- all I can tell you is I installed the Avasys drivers, and it worked out of the box:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1328861

Dan

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi,

Try Imagescan from the Avasys site, download the deb package and install with gdebi, may take a reboot, then click on the Imagescan icon and you away.

Regards, Ellgor.