Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: HElP WITH DRIVERS

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Beans
    11

    Question HElP WITH DRIVERS

    i m using UBUNTU 9.04.
    Just installed few days back.

    But i m having problem with its VIDEO-DRIVERS.
    i M having nVIDIA GeForce 7100GS video-card.

    For that i got the drivers also, but i do not know how to INSTALL THAT DRIVERS.

    THe drivers have an extension .run

    When i try to open it, it opens in something diff format.
    i do not know how to install it.

    Can anybody PlS. help me out with these problem ?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA, USA
    Beans
    2,774
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: HElP WITH DRIVERS

    Ubuntu has the nvidia drivers in the Ubuntu repositories. First, try going to: system > administration > hardware drivers, and see if it offers you to install the nvidia driver and enable it. Then reboot.
    If this doesn't work we can try to install the driver manually.

    And welcome to the Ubuntu forums!
    Registered Linux User #422464 http://linuxcounter.net/
    Use the search engine that respects your privacy rights: https://startpage.com/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Beans
    11

    Thumbs down Re: HElP WITH DRIVERS

    Quote Originally Posted by tommcd View Post
    Ubuntu has the nvidia drivers in the Ubuntu repositories. First, try going to: system > administration > hardware drivers, and see if it offers you to install the nvidia driver and enable it. Then reboot.
    If this doesn't work we can try to install the driver manually.

    And welcome to the Ubuntu forums!
    i Have tried tAt too, but it doesnt have it.
    i Need to install it manually.
    So can u pls. tel me the method how to install it manually ?



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA, USA
    Beans
    2,774
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: HElP WITH DRIVERS

    Quote Originally Posted by dharmil007 View Post
    i Have tried tAt too, but it doesnt have it.
    i Need to install it manually.
    So can u pls. tel me the method how to install it manually ?
    I was afraid of that. There was another thread around here recently about the nvidia 7100.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1270112
    He did not have the GS version though. It was the nvidia 7100.
    From what I managed to learn about the nvidia 7100 series in Ubuntu, it seems the best way to install the nvidia driver for the 7100 series is to use the driver from nvidia.com. The easiest way for you to use the driver from nvidia.com is to install envyng. This is a program that will automatically download and install the proper nvidia driver for your video card. It will also reinstall the driver whenever there is a kernel update.
    To get envyng open up synaptic package manager, click the reload button to update the repos, and search for envyng and install it.
    See this site to learn how to use envyng:
    http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

    Hope this helps.
    Registered Linux User #422464 http://linuxcounter.net/
    Use the search engine that respects your privacy rights: https://startpage.com/

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Beans
    11

    Re: HElP WITH DRIVERS

    Quote Originally Posted by tommcd View Post
    I was afraid of that. There was another thread around here recently about the nvidia 7100.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1270112
    He did not have the GS version though. It was the nvidia 7100.
    From what I managed to learn about the nvidia 7100 series in Ubuntu, it seems the best way to install the nvidia driver for the 7100 series is to use the driver from nvidia.com. The easiest way for you to use the driver from nvidia.com is to install envyng. This is a program that will automatically download and install the proper nvidia driver for your video card. It will also reinstall the driver whenever there is a kernel update.
    To get envyng open up synaptic package manager, click the reload button to update the repos, and search for envyng and install it.
    See this site to learn how to use envyng:
    http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

    Hope this helps.

    What i m telling u is that i Have the driver with me.
    But it is in .run format, so it is not opening.
    When i refered to HELP nVIDIA PAGES, it told that i need to install the driver through TERMINAL.
    So its a BiG problem, 'coz i dont know TERMINAL.
    So can u help me with it

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA, USA
    Beans
    2,774
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: HElP WITH DRIVERS

    I suggested using envyng because I thought it would be easier for you. If you want to install the driver the manual way in the terminal, here it is:
    First update the repos:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Then install the build-essential package and the linux headers for your kernel:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)
    Make sure the nvidia driver you downloaded is in your home directory.
    Then hit ctrl + alt + F2 to get to a virtual terminal, and login.
    Then stop the X-server:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    Then backup your xorg.conf just for safety:
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
    If it complains that there is no such file, don't worry about it.
    Then run the nvidia driver:
    Code:
    sudo sh NVIDIA
    Then hit the tab key. This should autocomplete the name of the nvidia driver. Then hit enter. You could also just type the exact name of the driver you downloaded and then hit enter.
    When it asks you if you want to download the kernel modules from nvidia.com, answer no. It never finds them anyway, so there is no point in answering yes. It will then build the modules for you.
    Then when it asks you if you want to let the installer configure the driver, answer yes.
    When it is all finished, reboot the Computer:
    Code:
    sudo reboot
    When you reboot the driver should be working. To check this run in terminal:
    Code:
    glxinfo | grep -i direct
    It should answer yes.
    Note that you will have to reinstall the nvidia driver whenever there is a kernel update if you do it the manual way I just described.
    Last edited by tommcd; October 7th, 2009 at 01:10 PM.
    Registered Linux User #422464 http://linuxcounter.net/
    Use the search engine that respects your privacy rights: https://startpage.com/

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Beans
    11

    Re: HElP WITH DRIVERS

    HEy if i want to leanr about the TERMINAL of UBUNTU, where can i learn it ?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Beans
    13,248
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

    Re: HElP WITH DRIVERS

    The "terminal of Ubuntu" is an app that opens a window containing a command line interface, from which you can enter GNU/linux commands.

    Suggest you look for online info or books about using Linux from the command line. But be prepared for a LOT of information. It's based a lot on UNIX and is not designed to be user-friendly (as in point-and-click).
    Ubuntu 17.04 Mate, Mint 18.1 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA, USA
    Beans
    2,774
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: HElP WITH DRIVERS

    Quote Originally Posted by dharmil007 View Post
    HEy if i want to leanr about the TERMINAL of UBUNTU, where can i learn it ?
    If you want to learn how to use the terminal in linux here is a great beginner tutorial:
    http://linuxcommand.org/learning_the_shell.php
    Work your way through the tutorial. You can safely practice the commands by creating some test files and folders in your home directory. This is how I began to learn terminal commands.
    Here is a more in depth tutorial that gets into writing scripts and stuff. (Something I should take the time to learn!):
    http://tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guide/html/
    It is smart move that you want to learn how to use the terminal. This will help you learn linux and will serve you well in the long run. If you ever try out other distros, a knowledge of terminal commands is a big help, since the commands are more or less consistent between distros. Plus, using the terminal is usually faster and more versatile than doing the same things with graphical tools.

    So did you get the nvidia driver installed ok?
    Registered Linux User #422464 http://linuxcounter.net/
    Use the search engine that respects your privacy rights: https://startpage.com/

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Beans
    11

    Re: HElP WITH DRIVERS

    Quote Originally Posted by tommcd View Post
    If you want to learn how to use the terminal in linux here is a great beginner tutorial:
    http://linuxcommand.org/learning_the_shell.php
    Work your way through the tutorial. You can safely practice the commands by creating some test files and folders in your home directory. This is how I began to learn terminal commands.
    Here is a more in depth tutorial that gets into writing scripts and stuff. (Something I should take the time to learn!):
    http://tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guide/html/
    It is smart move that you want to learn how to use the terminal. This will help you learn linux and will serve you well in the long run. If you ever try out other distros, a knowledge of terminal commands is a big help, since the commands are more or less consistent between distros. Plus, using the terminal is usually faster and more versatile than doing the same things with graphical tools.

    So did you get the nvidia driver installed ok?
    oh yes.
    Thanks for your help.
    But i dint try it your way, i just gone to PREFERENCES>APPEREANCE>VISUAL EffECTS.
    & in that selected EXTRA.So it automatically found the driver & installed it for me.

    Hey but THANKS FOR your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •