Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: rhythmbox 9.10 mp3

Beans

rhythmbox 9.10 mp3

Hey Yall
    I've posted here a couple times before and got great support so I thought after my two day quest to get this to work I would ask for your help.

My Rhythmbox won't play my music anymore after upgrading to 9.10. The great part about 9.10 is all my sound features work now without any work. Even the keyboard shortcuts to volume up and down and mute work now! Great news. The problem is that now Rhythmbox won't play any of my music. Let me tell you what I have done so far to try to fix the problem.

I've gone into Synaptic and reenabled a repository called "main restricted universe multiverse". I also followed the script from Medibuntu to reinstall the repository and followed their directions to update. I've sudo apt-get update and everything updated. I've installed the gstreamer plugins including the ones that gave me troubles in the past. I've also done the script to download restricted extras.

SO when I try to play a song in Rhythmbox it says it doesn't have the necessary plugins to play the song and give me a GStreamer element autoaudiosink as the requested plugin but cannot find it.
    I'm not sure if this will help but Flash video as well as VLC player plays audio fine. I've spent quite a lot of time on this and can't get Rhythmbox to play my audio. I'm sure some of you knowledgeable people can help a noob out with this. I installed Jaunty about 2 months ago cold turkey from windows and haven't looked back. This forum is the only reason why I haven't gone back to Windows. It can be tricky sometimes but your help makes it much better. Thanks EVERYONE for responding and helping me with this issue. I will check this post regularly until the problem is fixed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: rhythmbox 9.10 mp3

I'm not sure that I have helpful suggestions, but I have a question that might be helpful:

Will Rhythmbox play music that is encoded in a format other than MP3 such as ogg or FLAC?

Beans

I'm sorry Jmwink but the only audio I have is mp3. I dont have any ogg or flac. I USED to until my windows machine flatlined and now i'm starting my media collection from scratch with Ubuntu. Unfortunately I don't have those formats but maybe down the road someone will look at this post and want to know what your suggestion is who may have ogg or flac files.

I feel like I've updated and reinitiated so many files that I've gotten lost in the mix somewhere and don't know where I have or have not been. I install something and logout and back in and forget what I did three steps ago. I'm not sure EXACTLY what I've done and what I haven't done. It's semi frustrating. I used to troubleshoot software and hardware problems working for the geek squad (please no flames) and this linux stuff is getting the best of me for sure.
    Last edited by fields2grand; October 6th, 2009 at 10:51 PM.

Beans

jmwink, I am sure you have already discovered this, but Rhythmbox certainly does play .ogg and .flac file. As a matter of fact, it is less of a hassle dealing purely with those file types as Rhythmbox plays them out of the box.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Xupit3r View Post
    jmwink, I am sure you have already discovered this, but Rhythmbox certainly does play .ogg and .flac file. As a matter of fact, it is less of a hassle dealing purely with those file types as Rhythmbox plays them out of the box.

Do you have a suggestion Xupit3r? I just uninstalled and reinstalled Rhythmbox but it still asks for the "GStreamer element autoaudiosink" plugin. Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

go to synaptic and search for gstreamer bad and ugly and if installed remove. Then reinstall them. My have to restart computer.

Beans

Ok, I just did that and it didn't work. Rhythmbox is still asking for the GStreamer element autoaudiosink plugin.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

OK. Try reinstalling GStreamer Good Plugins

Beans

Ok I reinstalled the good plugins and that didn't work either. I installed Amarok and it won't play audio either. Thanks for helping.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

are you still getting the error? and does it not play any audio?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast