Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help configuring tor

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

need help configuring tor

At Ubuntu's help site the following is stated:

You will need to add the following repositories to your /etc/apt/sources.list file:

Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex):

deb http://mirror.noreply.org/pub/tor intrepid main
    deb-src http://mirror.noreply.org/pub/tor intrepid main

I don't know where to even find that file. I am not but a little bit into this instructional and I am already lost. Truth be told, I already have TOR installed but it has failed to work over and over. The program has several prompts to help troubleshoot, none of which are making a difference so I thought I would start from the beginning with the above tutorial but am already in a no man's land.

Can anyone direct me to another, more explicit and newbie-oriented set of instructions, or help me themselves?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: need help configuring tor

Rather than attempting to add the repos directly to your sources.list file try going
    System -> Administration -> Software Sources
    "Other Software" tab and then click add
    Paste the repo address in the input box and click on to add it.

You night be starting to look for the file in the wrong place, open your file browser and click on the computer button to go to your computers root directory, you should be able to find the file from there
    I Probably Should be studying right now....

Beans

Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    Paste that into a terminal to edit the the file you need and add those lines to it. I've followed that guide and it's worked out perfectly for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

When opening the graphical user interface for TorK and hitting "play" I get the following:

TorK cannot connect to Tor!
    Reason: If you are trying to manage a remote or already-running instance of Tor you may not have configured the address and/or port of the Tor server correctly.
    Would you like to configure the address and port now?

The thing is, when I go to the Tor site that is designed to check to see if I connected using Tor or not, it says I am. I still can't shake, because of the above, the idea that something is still wrong however.

Little help?

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley Coyote View Post
    When opening the graphical user interface for TorK and hitting "play" I get the following:

Reason: If you are trying to manage a remote or already-running instance of Tor you may not have configured the address and/or port of the Tor server correctly.

The thing is, when I go to the Tor site that is designed to check to see if I connected using Tor or not, it says I am. I still can't shake, because of the above, the idea that something is still wrong however.

Little help?

Thanks in advance.

I should have stated that I followed the instructions of the first reply and for the first time I got a positive result from Tor's check site. So why is the program itself telling me otherwise. In other words, which kind of malfunction is occuring, the check or the feedback I am getting from the prog itself?

Beans

The actual tor wasn't failing, what failed was that program Tork.

Code:
    And in that error message it tells you why
    Code:
    It even asks you to configure what was wrong. Read the errors, many times they will tell you what's wrong without the need to look up stuff on the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmacid View Post
    The actual tor wasn't failing, what failed was that program Tork.

Code:
    And in that error message it tells you why
    Code:
    It even asks you to configure what was wrong. Read the errors, many times they will tell you what's wrong without the need to look up stuff on the internet.
    Yes but, as I stated, "the program has several prompts to help troubleshoot, none of which are making a difference so I thought I would start from the beginning with the above tutorial but am already in a no man's land."

Now, it keeps telling me to check my Konqueror settings but I am using Firefox and its Tor button to connect. Is this why I am succeeding with Firefox but still getting an error? Is the K in TorK the reference to Konqueror?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley Coyote View Post
    Yes but, as I stated, "the program has several prompts to help troubleshoot, none of which are making a difference so I thought I would start from the beginning with the above tutorial but am already in a no man's land."

Now, it keeps telling me to check my Konqueror settings but I am using Firefox and its Tor button to connect. Is this why I am succeeding with Firefox but still getting an error? Is the K in TorK the reference to Konqueror?
    Nobody?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Try stoping Tor and then let the Tork start it for you:

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/tor stop
    If that fails, make sure that the Tor control port is open - just comment it out from the torrc file and try again (it's located in "etc/tor").

PS. You're using the wrong repositories - use this one instead:

http://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-doc-unix.html.en

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ackanao View Post
    Try stoping Tor and then let the Tork start it for you:

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/tor stop
    If that fails, make sure that the Tor control port is open - just comment it out from the torrc file and try again (it's located in "etc/tor").

PS. You're using the wrong repositories - use this one instead:

http://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-doc-unix.html.en
    I'm afraid I don't know how to comment something out, in, or anywhere else. I followed the instructions for 'Option One" here. This is strange: I got there by clicking on the link you provided but, alas, this is not the link you provided. Okay, were following the instructions that I did the right way to go?

If so, how do I comment something out of the doc you referenced?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast