Thread: Apache Multiple VirtualHosts on the same IP (VM)

Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Apache Multiple VirtualHosts on the same IP (VM)

I am running 64bit Ubuntu 9.04 Server, in Virtual Box. I have installed the LAMP stack, and I am having a hard time getting VirtualHosts to work. I have given the VM it's own static IP address ( and I have given it the hostname "LAMPVM" via my router, and when I try to access it from my browser it only goes to 1 domain at a time.

I have "vhost_alias" & "rewrite" enabled.

I have my /etc/apache2/httpd.conf setup as follows:
    <Directory "/home/USER/workspace">
            Options FollowSymLinks
            AllowOverride All
            Order allow,deny
            Allow from all
    NameVirtualHost *
    ServerName localhost
    I have the following sites-enabled:
    <VirtualHost *>
            ServerName localhost
            ServerAlias localhost *.localhost
            VirtualDocumentRoot /home/USER/workspace/%1/
    <VirtualHost *>
            ServerName test1
            ServerAlias test1 *.test1
            DocumentRoot /home/USER/workspace/test1/
    <VirtualHost *>
            ServerName test2
            ServerAlias test2 *.test2
            DocumentRoot /home/USER/workspace/test2/
    And I enter "LAMPVM" into my browser it only goes to the most recent domain I added (test2).
    If I enter "test1.LAMPVM" into my browser it doesn't find the address.
    I realize this is because my DNS on my browsers machine (not the VM) is not configured to recognize what "test1.LAMPVM" means. But when I enter the following into my /etc/hosts file:
    Code:       localhost       my-machine
    #LAMPVM test1.lampvm test2.lampvm
    By browser goes to the address "test2.lampvm", but it thinks "test1.lampvm" is the same as "test2.lampvm" (or "test1.lampvm" is being routed to the most recently added domain [which happens to be test2]).
    Again, I kinda get why this isn't working because both "test1.lampvm" and "test2.lampvm" are pointing to the same address (, but that is the address of the VM, and I don't know how else to get access to multiple domains on the same VM/IP?

My guess is I probably need to make some adjustments in my Router, but not sure exactly what?
    Any/All Help, Comments, Suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by BassKozz; October 6th, 2009 at 03:54 PM.
    Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit - IP35-Pro | Q6600@3.3ghz(TRUE [lapped]) | G.Skill 2x2GB | MSI NX8600GT | 150GB WD Raptor ||| NAS - Ubuntu 10.04 - Intel D865GBF | P4 3.0GHz | G.Skill 4x1GB | FX5200-AGP | 3x250GB mdadm Raid5

Re: Apache Multiple VirtualHosts on the same IP (VM)

First of all, you shouldn't be using httpd.conf. You should create vhost configurations in /etc/apache2/sites-available, then enable them with a2ensite. The default vhost should be /etc/apache2/sites-available/default. If your server is ubuntu 9.04, NameVirtualHost should only be used in /etc/apache2/ports.conf.

You seem to have the server names configured as test1, test2, etc., so why are you configuring your hosts file with test1.lampvm, test2.lampvm, etc.?

If you don't want to edit /etc/hosts or worry about browser caching or routing, you could use netcat to have full control over the http headers.
    echo -e "GET / HTTP/1.0\nHost: test1\n"|nc localhost 80
    Of course, make sure you reload apache after changing any vhost configuration.

Get apache working properly, then figure out routing.
    Last edited by cdenley; October 6th, 2009 at 04:24 PM.