Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does UNR work on the Asus eee pc 1005HA-H?

Beans

Talking Does UNR work on the Asus eee pc 1005HA-H?

Hello, I'm considering buying an Asus eee pc 1005HA-H.
    I would like to if things like Wireless, Blue tooth, Hot keys, Web cam will work out of the box, and if not what configuration steps are necessary.

Beans

Re: Does UNR work on the Asus eee pc 1005HA-H?

bump.........

Beans

Unless you know something I don't. . .

I am using it on the 1000HEB and it works nicely (though I'm looking forward to improvements in graphics support in Karmic). I'm not sure what the difference in hardware is on that model, but AFAIK there's a decent track record with the Eee PC netbooks.

I think I had to install eee-control to improve the hotkey support, but camera, card reader and wireless worked out of the box. My unit is the cheapo sibling of the 1000HE, so it didn't have bluetooth out of the box. I picked up a tiny USB dongle for like $20 which worked without any tweaks.

Beans

Thanks, I think it should work (hopefully)

Beans

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've installed Jaunty on my 1005HA. Wireless and wired ethernet do not work out of the box. If I remember correctly, wireless is supported with the latest kernel, but that needs to be updated after install (which is problematic if you don't have a wired connection). I found the help I needed here. Once you get the wired driver (there is a link somewhere on that thread), you can update and wireless should be golden. Other than that, I've had no issues.

If I remember reading correctly, Karmic works out of the box with both wired and wireless on the 1005. It might be worth waiting for that official release (unless you want to run the beta for now) or you can use the tip above to get internet working in Jaunty. Post back if you have any issues.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AppleBonker View Post
    I've installed Jaunty on my 1005HA. Wireless and wired ethernet do not work out of the box. If I remember correctly, wireless is supported with the latest kernel, but that needs to be updated after install (which is problematic if you don't have a wired connection). I found the help I needed here. Once you get the wired driver (there is a link somewhere on that thread), you can update and wireless should be golden. Other than that, I've had no issues.

If I remember reading correctly, Karmic works out of the box with both wired and wireless on the 1005. It might be worth waiting for that official release (unless you want to run the beta for now) or you can use the tip above to get internet working in Jaunty. Post back if you have any issues.
    Did the bluetooth work out of box on yours?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I had some coupons/etc for Best Buy so I bought mine there. The particular 1005HA they carry does not have bluetooth on it. In retrospect, I should've gotten mine on-line for a better battery mainly. I don't use bluetooth for much of anything, so on the netbook it wasn't a concern for me. Sorry I cannot be of more assistance on this one.

As far as your original post, I did run skype very briefly (not for me, but to help setup skype for my sister) and the webcam worked fine without any additional work.

Beans

Thanks, as someone else in this thread said they have a good track record.
    So I'd say it will be fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm sure you'll be fine as long as your comfortable enough getting the wired/wireless working as I posted earlier. It was quite simple (even for me - the eee was my first foray into Ubuntu). I consider myself fairly computer literate, but it was still a whole new world for me. I'm quite happy with how well it runs on that netbook. So happy, in fact, that I'm planning on ditching the dual-boot (I have Win7 installed as well) and running only Ubuntu once I upgrade to Karmic on that device. Since I like installing the OS from scratch, I can just wipe the whole drive and start fresh.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast