Thread: Dell Inspiron D830 - Can't turn off touchpad!

Beans

Dell Inspiron D830 - Can't turn off touchpad!

Hi everyone,
    I am trying to turn off the touchpad on my Insprion D830 and I am baffled by the results.
    I have installed both Gsynaptics and gpointing-device-settings and have turned off the touchpad using them. It stays turned off for a little while and then it turns itself back on after about 15/20 seconds.

Is there anyone else out there having the same problem and if so, were you able to get it to function correctly and if so, how?!?

Thanks,
    RMFlagg

Beans

Re: Dell Inspiron D830 - Can't turn off touchpad!

*BUMP* I can't be the only one with this problem!

Beans

It appears that this is a bug that is already being tracked: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rt/+bug/459832

Beans

It's been over two months and I still haven't found a way to turn off the touchpad on my Dell Latitude D830 AND KEEP IT OFF!
    In previous iterations of Ubuntu, I was able to use something like gSynaptic to turn off the touchpad and it would stay off even after rebooting, but I have had NO luck with Karmic.
    What is most frustrating is the regression in features and the fact that something so simple should be this hard to find a solution for.
    Oh yeah, I shouldn't have to create any scripts and run them at the beginning of each session, either. It's 2010, this sort of thing should be far in the past.
    And before you start replying, please, please don't post anything resembling an excuse or being apologetic for Canonical. Also don't bother saying anything like "Well, you should go back to Intrepid" or the like. THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN PERMANENTLY FIXED YEARS AGO and you know it.

RMFlagg

Beans

I had the same problem with my Dell Studio 15, and got some help from here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1310844&page=2

It's not a perfect solution, but you can set the script to run automatically on log in. I'm still looking for a way to disable touchpad automatically when usb mouse is plugged in.