Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Toshiba Satellite M505 overheating problem

Beans

Re: Toshiba Satellite M505 overheating problem

Quote Originally Posted by Druke View Post
    For the omnibook stuff, do I need to reboot after each modprobe?
    Supposedly it has an instant effect.

Quote Originally Posted by cis.ash
    to post #72
    i think that the crit degree is 110 or something close to that, so 50 degree is cool enough
    Windows runs between 35-45, so I think this should be our goal. Especially since Ubuntu normally uses less resources

Beans

Tested omnibook with all ectypes, no immediate results.

However, acpi_osi="Linux" on Lucid Lynx (32 bits) works. BUT, the trip points are still too low, idling at 60C, which still isn't good.

Beans

Personal update: I thought you guys might like to know that I am now experiencing what is essentially the same problem...in Windows 7. Yeah, for some reason the system that was made to run PCs and that PCs are made to run is now getting just as bad. Fortunately the cooling pad I got seems to be helping somewhat. (I also discovered my left hand is about half as sensitive as my right and can barely detect the heat. )

Since at least one of you seems to be working with Lucid now, I wouldn't mind an overview of everything we've tried in Karmic being tried again. I'd especially like to know if user control of ACPI has been restored.
    Model: Toshiba Satellite M505D laptop
    System: Windows 7/planned install Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic
    (Updated 9 Jan 2010)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

try
    sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

Find this line:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
    and change it to:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi.power_nocheck=1"

Save

sudo update-grub
    sudo reboot

It should work now after reboot.

Beans

Mine is an old Toshiba A70 Phoenix bios. Just like you, CPU temperature used to go up to 80 and then it turns off automatically.

Now, it only stays at 40, slightly cooler than my HDD temp of 41. Since I have a Phoenix bios, i had to download and install the omnibook module. At first i thought that by controlling cpufrequency (ondemand) or fixing the cpu frequncy to a certain limit will do the trick. Well it didn't. it will just stay on a little bit longer.

When I downloaded the latest version of omnibook, I noticed one of the modules includes "Cooling" so i turned that on and since then my cpu temperature stayed at 40 what ever i do. Even if i play games.

There is a cooling system\preference that needs to be turned on for it to work so i guess omnibook did the trick.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789