Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Toshiba Satellite M505 overheating problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Toshiba Satellite M505 overheating problem

After updating the kernel to 2.6.31-19-generic the fan started working correctly (turns on after the temp reaches certain point). So, I don't have to suspend and resume my laptop anymore

Beans

awesome! but what is this 'certain point'?

How did you do it, did you follow any tutorials?

EDIT: It didn't work for me. Suspending and Resuming does do the trick, though I haven't tried it before.

Also, do you have any special kernel options on?
    Last edited by wafflemelon; February 10th, 2010 at 11:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Actually, I did not do anything except updating the kernel. No special options and no other attempts to fix the situation after the update. It just started to work. However, the acpitool does not show any thermal devices anymore, and acpi -t does not show temperature anymore. The new kernel does not have thermal trip points anymore as well, so I do not know what points it follows now. It seems that the fan kicks in at ~35-37 degrees, but I do not know where they are defined now.

Beans

Guys,

I had this issue with my computer a month ago then I had to roll back to Windows, then I wonder if someone could share with me how to update the kernel, I ran some google searches but I could not find the instructions.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro

estherios, you just install Ubuntu and make sure to enable recommended updates in the software sources (they should be enabled by default). After that, run "sudo apt-get update" and you should get a pop-up window with the latest updates. Make sure that kernel 2.6.31-19-generic is among them. However, keep in mind that some people still have the same problems after installing this kernel.

Beans

Toshiba laptops are notorious for having overheating issues. This is usually a hardware problem associated with the main CPU heatsink radiator vanes getting clogged with dust.

The cooling fans suck air in at the bottom of the casing and blow it over the heatsink vanes from the inside. Unless you keep the bottom of the laptop casing on a hard surface or run your m/c in a cleanroom this will deposit dust and crapite on them and eventually clog them up.

Tosh hard-wire a temperature sensor in the CPU, this changes the fan speed incrementally and cools it down acording to the CPU temperature as set by the BIOS. Until the h/s vanes are so clogged it won't cool properly that is, then the fans go into overdrive and/or the m/c will suddenly shut itself down to prevent damage.

Here is a simple solution. Turn the m/c off completely and turn it upside down. Get a can of air and a vacuum cleaner. Put the vacuum cleaner nozzle up against the fan covers and switch the suction on. This will get the fans running in reverse, then blow air using the can's thin tube through the rear casing slots over the heatsink vanes. With a bit of luck the accumulated dust will detach and get sucked out. Be carefull not to contact the vanes with the thin tube.

If the dust is well and truly caked on, more drastic means are called for. This procedure will invalidate your guarantee, be carefull....!

With the m/c switched off, unscrew the base plate cover over the CPU and expose the heatsink etc from the inside. Very carefully blow air over the dust mat and dislodge it, gently use a fine paintbrush if necessary. Suck the dust out. Then replace the cover. Boot up, and hope for the best!

Good luck

Beans

Almikul, thank for replying my request. I will try to install Ubuntu again on my laptop this weekend and will share the results.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Toshiba Satellite M505 overheating problem

Folks,

I tested today the new kernel but yes problem remains on my pc, I guess I will have to wait till someone finds a way to avoid the overheating.

Beans

Guys, Does this issue happen on other Linux flavors?

Beans

I have tested this on Linux Mint, but I believe it's the same for every distro.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast