Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Toshiba Satellite M505 overheating problem

Try loading the kernel each time with one of the following parameters:

* pnpbios=off
    * acpi_osi=Linux
    * acpi=force
    Guys, sorry for the dumb question, but how can I pass these parameters in GRUB 2?

I have tried adding the following entry to /etc/grub.d/40_custom:
    Code:
    echo "Adding custom entries on sda1 (2.6.31-16-generic)" >&2 
    cat << EOF
    menuentry "ACPI testing on latest kernels" {
            set root=(hd0,1)
            linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 pnpbios=off
    	initrd /initrd.img
    }
    EOF
    However, I am not sure it actually affects the booting options. How can I check it really adds pnpbios=off at the booting?
    Last edited by almikul; January 3rd, 2010 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Changed the question

Beans

Weird; I made those alterations in /etc/default/grub. It was my understanding from other threads that you were supposed to do it there...was I mistaken?

Also, I noticed something that might throw us for a loop; you and wafflemelon seem to be equipped with Phoenix BIOS on your Satellites. Mine uses AMI BIOS, so...maybe the BIOS upgrade is a red herring? (I would be overjoyed if it is; I don't want to brick my brand new laptop.)

I'm going to try calling Toshiba tech support tomorrow and see if they can give us any insight; it's something I need to do anyway. (For some reason my computer is registered in their database without me registering it.) I know they're Windows-oriented, but it's worth a shot.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by derekmbarnes View Post
    Weird; I made those alterations in /etc/default/grub. It was my understanding from other threads that you were supposed to do it there...was I mistaken?
    No, you were correct. I finally did the same way as you by editing /etc/default/grub. However, none of these three parameters made any difference

What would you make of the fact that the fan starts working at certain temperatures only after resuming from suspend? Maybe the hint is there?

Beans

almikul, is your BIOS version at least 1.80 ?

Beans

MacGyver fix: I've discovered that placing a conventional fan near the laptop on low speed will keep the temperature down - instead of heating up to 95 C before the CPU fan kicks in, I am now maintaining a temperature roughly between 35 and 40 C. (For reference, 37 C is body temperature.) Until we get the actual problem resolved, this is a useful workaround. Be sure to place the fan on the same side as the cooling vent.

And while I'm here, I recommend installing GKrellM on your systems and configuring to read CPU temperature. No more having to use Terminal to figure it out.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by derekmbarnes View Post
    MacGyver fix: I've discovered that placing a conventional fan near the laptop on low speed will keep the temperature down - instead of heating up to 95 C before the CPU fan kicks in, I am now maintaining a temperature roughly between 35 and 40 C. (For reference, 37 C is body temperature.) Until we get the actual problem resolved, this is a useful workaround. Be sure to place the fan on the same side as the cooling vent.

And while I'm here, I recommend installing GKrellM on your systems and configuring to read CPU temperature. No more having to use Terminal to figure it out.
    Where do you point the fan? Facing the vent? Perpendicular to the vent?

Beans

Facing the vent. Having the cold air blowing on the laptop in the first place is helpful on its own, but if you actually point the airflow into the machine it's much more effective.

Beans

Info on using lm_sensors to control the fan: http://movingtoubuntu.technicalbloke..._and_fan_speed

This one's easier to decipher than the how-to thread here, but if sensors-detect doesn't give you any useful results it doesn't help much.
    Last edited by derekmbarnes; January 4th, 2010 at 05:03 AM. Reason: minor grammar fix

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wafflemelon View Post
    almikul, is your BIOS version at least 1.80 ?
    Yes, it is 1.90

However, I was wondering whether your fan kicks in when you resume from suspend? This is the only way I can keep my laptop cool. When you laptop is hot (50C-60C), try to suspend it for a second and then resume. If you have Phoenix BIOS, I think it should work for you. Much better than putting external fan next to the vent anyway

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by almikul View Post
    I was wondering whether your fan kicks in when you resume from suspend? This is the only way I can keep my laptop cool. When you laptop is hot (50C-60C), try to suspend it for a second and then resume. If you have Phoenix BIOS, I think it should work for you. Much better than putting external fan next to the vent anyway
    I have AMI BIOS, and suspend doesn't resume properly. (Besides, 50 C is still about 120 F and liable to shorten the CPU's lifespan.) Which brings me to my next question: are BIOS versions not universal? Because my dmidecode says my BIOS 1.2 was released last September and is ACPI-compatible. So I'm starting to think that BIOS isn't the problem after all.

Next suspect on my list: the DSDT table for acpi. According to this how-to thread ACPI issues with an up-to-date BIOS can be caused by bugs in this file. The average user can no longer edit their DSDT file (perfectly reasonable since the code is indecipherable to mortals), so it must be reported as a bug instead. And given the luck we've been having these past few days, I think this is probably the best course of action. (We probably should have done this in the first place, but on the bright side our information will be a little more comprehensive as a result of our work.)

I start school again tomorrow, but I'll see if I can find time to pull together a useful draft report. In the meantime, keep that fan running.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast