Thread: Microphone recommendations

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Microphone recommendations

I am not really sure what is going on, I have posted this twice now, bumped the threads, and nobody is responding. Is my timing bad, or is there really no microphone that works with linux?

--------------------------------------------

I posted the following about a month ago and was told I was lucky to get the webcam working, and should just get a different Mic. I want to avoid getting another mic that does not work, unfortunately searching for anything to that effect gives me a bunch of results for "mic does not work".

I am looking for either a microphone with known support in Ubuntu 9.04, or a fix for the below (copy of previously abandonded post)

--------------------------------------------

I have tried a lot, but without any success. I have been over the webcam and mic forums, but they all assume that turning your mic on in the sound properties is the only thing that is stopping you from getting anywhere.

I have been through every mixer in the volume properties and have had no success. I am trying to get the mic working through skype, but getting it work work at all would be a step in the right direction. If there is a way to test the mic outside of skype, please let me know.

I have updated alsa, but in Skype I am only able to select pulse audio for the microphone, no other mixer is listed.

I will gladly supply any information, as long as you let me know how to get it for you =)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Microphone recommendations

What make and model of microphone are you using, and is it USB or bluetooth? Is it a headset or just a microphone?

Microphones usually just work in Linux, but it seems in some cases that the microphone part somehow is being muted again, even after unmuting it in the mixer settings. I had to fiddle with the mixer settings a bit but now it's working. I have a Sennheiser PC 30 headset with green and pink jacks that plug into the sound card. However the PC 35 USB version should work fine.
    Last edited by little_penguin; October 6th, 2009 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Correction

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by little_penguin View Post
    What make and model of microphone are you using, and is it USB or bluetooth? Is it a headset or just a microphone?

Microphones usually just work in Linux, but it seems in some cases that the microphone part somehow is being muted again, even after unmuting it in the mixer settings. I had to fiddle with the mixer settings a bit but now it's working. I have a Sennheiser PC 35 USB headset.
    The microphone is built into a Dynex webcam. The webcam itself works, just not the mic. I have unmuted the mic in the mixer every way I can figure out how, or has been advised to me. The problem could be skype, but I have not been able to find a program to test the input of a mic either, if you could recommend one then I would be able to tell if it was truly the mic or skype.

In either case, thank you, you are the first person in a month to actually give me a mic model that you have verified as working. I will probably just go out and buy that here in a day or two.
    Last edited by Tyrsius; October 6th, 2009 at 04:09 AM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just corrected the model name I have in my post above, it's actually the PC 30 not 35.
    But I reckon probably any of the Sennheiser headsets should work, as long as they either connect to the sound card or to USB. I'd avoid bluetooth headsets as many people seem to have trouble getting them working.
    Anyway, if you buy a Sennheiser and need any help with the mixer settings, post again and I can tell you what mine are.
    Last edited by little_penguin; October 6th, 2009 at 08:04 AM.