Thread: Radeon 9000 (RV250) can't change resolution.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Radeon 9000 (RV250) can't change resolution.

I have a Dell D600, with a Radeon 9000, after a lot of research an tweaking i was able to put the display to work fine at 1400X1050, with compiz and some effects, but at this resolution, the performance is afected when i maximize the windows, or scroll some long pages in firefox, the wierd thing is that i can't change the display resolution to 1024x768, i got an error about virtual size and then, i'm back to 1400X1050, i changed the virtual size just like it says in lots of posts...but no luck. I tested other versions on Ubuntu 8.04, 8.10 and it happens the same thing, i also tried other debian based distros and got the same problem, i tried some slackware based distros and this problem didn't happen, i can change resolution normally, i checked the xorg.conf and i was using the same driver, i also tested de xorg.conf of Ubuntu in Slackware and it works as it should...

Any clue ppl?

THX

Beans
    Distro

Re: Radeon 9000 (RV250) can't change resolution.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

Finaly it works ....i just installed Ubuntu 8.04 LTS and in this version, the RV250 bug is gone.....finally i can get my old box working as it should

see ya....
    "We are the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no great war, no great depression. Our great war is a spiritual war."

Beans
    Distro

Bump!! Arghh...etc..etc

Now i can change resolution, but i don't have any effects....well...lets see how it goes...

see ya...
    Last edited by pawhtiobo; August 25th, 2009 at 10:01 PM.
    "We are the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no great war, no great depression. Our great war is a spiritual war."

Beans
    Distro

Problem solved

I just upgraded to the lastest version of compiz...and now it rocks

See ya...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pawhtiobo View Post
    I have a Dell D600, with a Radeon 9000, after a lot of research an tweaking i was able to put the display to work fine at 1400X1050, with compiz and some effects, but at this resolution, the performance is afected when i maximize the windows, or scroll some long pages in firefox, the wierd thing is that i can't change the display resolution to 1024x768, i got an error about virtual size and then, i'm back to 1400X1050, i changed the virtual size just like it says in lots of posts...but no luck. I tested other versions on Ubuntu 8.04, 8.10 and it happens the same thing, i also tried other debian based distros and got the same problem, i tried some slackware based distros and this problem didn't happen, i can change resolution normally, i checked the xorg.conf and i was using the same driver, i also tested de xorg.conf of Ubuntu in Slackware and it works as it should...

Any clue ppl?

THX
    Sorry to barge in... I've been wrestling with getting my Dell D600 to do 1400x1050. I can't get it working. How did you get yours to work?

Thx

Beans
    Distro

Hi

Well my problem was the opposite of yours, i couldn't use any resolution under the 1400x1050, but with the install of the Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Desktop i can use any resolution with no problems, i advice you to use a 1024x768 if you plan to use compiz and effects, because at 1400x1050 it runs very slow. Which version of Ubuntu are you using?

If you need anything just ask

see ya...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by irjman View Post
    Sorry to barge in... I've been wrestling with getting my Dell D600 to do 1400x1050. I can't get it working. How did you get yours to work?

Thx
    what release?