Thread: Display management

Beans

Thumbs down Display management

Understand first, that this is -NOT JUST- an Ubuntu issue. I have yet to use an OS that handles multiple monitors is a truly elegant way...

So, I find the ideal solution to having multiple monitors is pretty clear... Also, it doesn't seem like it should be too hard to implement. Please correct me if I'm wrong. The only issue I could see with proprietary drivers from ATi/nVidia, etc.

Map a hot-key combination to 'detect monitors.'

When pressed, all monitors currently attached are added to a list, with identifying names (maybe user editable, like printer names, etc). Then, if no monitor on the entire list is currently activated, the OS tries to enable any new monitor or the first monitor on the list, with the basic open source driver.

The user can then peruse the list of monitors, positioning each 'screen' where he wants it in relation to the others, set resolutions, etc. Screens that overlay each other will show the same screen buffer (i.e. clone). Screens can be 'enabled/disabled' with a mouse click. various configurations could be saved, and then associated with hot-key presses.

Also, can someone tell me, for once and for all... when a VGA monitor is plugged into a VGA port, does any interrupt/event/etc alert the OS to this? I know when I plug a monitor into my laptop while it's running Windows 7 (meh) it detects it and turns it on. I have a hard time believe this is done by polling... If it IS done by polling, perhaps the same interface would allow the user to set a polling frequency.

Is this all clear? Is it unrealistic for some reason I'm missing?

Thoughts?

Thanks!!
    Ben

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Display management

Sorry to be an ***** but i suggest you start learning to program in some language.

Beans

Cool Re: Display management

Um.... okay... not sure what that has to do with anything, but CAN program in quite a few languages. I work with supercomputers/parallel programming for my graduate research position...

Anybody have anything more constructive? Honestly, any technical reason this can't be done?

Beans

Re: Display management

bump? Anyone?