Thread: update servers down?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: update servers down?

+1 Very Slow

getting 27kb/s when i ususally get 500+

going to take 2 hours lol

Sign-up to Dropbox using the following link and get 2.25GB of storage FREE!!!
    https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTM2NDgxOTc5

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by davidshere View Post
    I would think/hope that the beta testers are testing by downloading the beta ISO via BitTorrent and installing a fresh copy.
    Some will do that, but others like me are just upgrading from the latest alpha. We were on beta stage 2 days before it reached the public (because of the freeze period).

We could also restore a Jaunty install and upgrade from there. All are viable options for beta-testers.
    Upgrade Ubuntu | Upgrade unsupported Ubuntu versions | Always backup | Howto upgrade flash
    Minimal CD install | Remove old kernels | My blog | Linux user #462801 | Conscience doth make cowards of us all. -- Shakespeare

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Auto update finally completed with the exception of the new kernel. I guess I'll wait till tomorrow.

Beans

I'm sure they are just hammered with updates from Beta downloads. It was rather funny to watch my D/L drop to 8748 B/s, Trying to install Flash Player right now, 20 minutes later and I'm 12% into it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

been having the same issue for 36-48 hours, at multiple sites. slow, flapping connections running at most 100kbps.

I just got a message after waiting a few hours, that the kernel upgrade in channel has is "Not Authenticated". I'm certainly not going to install a non-authenticated kernel.

Beans

finally it updated all files but download rate was very low it was about 12kb or something.

Beans

Yeah yeah yeah, today was a big release day; 9.10 was Beta'd, OpenOffice was updated, etc. A lot of users running their updates, so basically they are DDoSing the servers without even knowing it =P

They seem to be running a bit smoother, still getting bad speeds, but not horrible as before.

Just a small random question about the update servers, us.archive.ubuntu.com's servers are hosted in the UK, even though they use "us." as the subdomain. I find it a bit odd that they would use that subdomain but not host servers where it is implying to be located.
    Slowwwwwwwubuntupoke.

My GPG key.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

libsmbclient, winbind, etc. updates for 9.04 for me can't even download, and I have cable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: update servers down?

Um...All I said was I use the Karmic koala on my virtual box - and then every1 starts downloading it - doh!

Its gonna be 1 heap of good stuff - just b4 Xmas too - its really cool - honest - you wanna see the graphics for the backgrounds and the themes and the things coming with it - it'll knock M/soft 7 for six!

...and you can get a better rendition of Euca;iptus and the Cloud...Really Kool!
    Last edited by terabyte1; October 2nd, 2009 at 11:25 PM. Reason: typos! and updates
    Terabyte1

Non sibi sed omnibus = "Not for oneself but for all."

Beans

Interesting...

I run apt-cacher, which caches all of the package downloads on a server inside my network, and then all other machines use it as their server for updates... and until now I didn't realize how much apt-cacher still depends heavily on being able to reach the outside world. In a situation like this, I expected it to still be able to deliver updates to my local boxes if they were requesting updates that it already had cached. (This happens a lot for me because I run updates on machines running the live CD, which is why I started using apt-cacher in the first place.) Turns out it's not such a smooth process (it barely happens at all) if apt-cacher can't reach the outside world.

But... apt-cacher does have a "run offline" mode ... now that it's in offline mode, my machines are getting their updates and all is well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast