Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install a lightweight E17 based Ubuntu (Karmic)

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install a lightweight E17 based Ubuntu (Karmic)

as anyone tried something like this on an eeepc? I have a 1005ha running Ubuntu 9.10 NBR ... but I have always loved enlightment, and to be honest I feel like Ubuntu has so much extra garbage that I dont need on the netbook.

So i was looking to see everyone elses experiences, either way I will be trying this out in the next few days and keep everyone posted.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

anyone tried something like this on an eeepc?
    Not an eepc, but I have installed e17 from these repos onto Ubuntu on my Dell Latitude 2100 (atom-based netbook) and it flies and has been rock solid. I didn't start from a minimal Ubuntu, but went the other way - removing things and replacing them with lighter/more e-friendly alternatives (wicd, Abiword, Chromium browser etc).
    Aubrey
    Make a difference with Kiva microloans.
    My (new) Arduino and Ubuntu Blog

Beans

the problem I am having is that some of the function keys dont work in e17 ... which im sort of confused about, because everything works under gnome.

right now im just running a normal 9.10 NBR install and installed e17 to check it out before committing myself to anything ... glad I did because half of the stuff doesnt work.

wireless and things like that work, but things like my volume control/brightness dont work. but imho netbooks are about convenience, so having half of my shortcut keys not working, kind of defeats the purpose

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Drackonn View Post
    the problem I am having is that some of the function keys dont work in e17
    Did you look into Settings>Settings Panel>Input>Key Bindings ?
    Aubrey

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

What's the best way to add e17 to karmic? This method or using ruispais' script for svn?

Beans
    Distro

What's the best way to add e17 to karmic? This method or using ruispais' script for svn?
    Hi kevdog

Its a matter of choice, really.

This method will give you a recent and fairly stable build of e17 and is quick and "normal" (ie using standard repos and tools). It is highly likely that the .deb packages will be rebuilt around svn freezes and e17 is Very Close to an official beta.

The e17-svn way is up-to-date to the minute you install it or update it. It does take a long time to install (download, make and install for every component) and you can get the occasional "bad" update that requires fixing manually. Normally I'd say it is way better as any bug fixes and improvements are available instantly, but right now I honestly can't point to any significant differences between the packages.enlightenment.org repo version and the ones I update daily from svn - most of the work going on right now is very minor or related to translations. There are still few minor bugs - but they don't seem to get any attention.

I am using both methods on different machines. Both work well on Karmic.

All of the above relates to a fairly "vanilla" install. If you want to use modules or add-ons from outside the main trunk (like ecomorph), you are pretty much on your own.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Tux Aubrey; November 2nd, 2009 at 12:02 AM. Reason: spleling erorr
    Aubrey

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tux Aubrey View Post
    Did you look into Settings>Settings Panel>Input>Key Bindings ?

Ok I got everything working, the thing is right now all I was doing was running e17 as an alternate at boot instead of gnome, when I log in, but I cannot get the internet to work.

I am using 9.10 NBR ... so if I try to get wicd, it tries to remove gnome-network-manager, if I do this then I dont have the nifty little network manager in the upper right corner when Im logged into NBR. so for right now I cant get the full feel for e17 ... I will probably repartition my drive and do 2 seperate installs, one with 9.10 NBR since its stable and everything works. and 1 with a minimal e17 install to see which one I prefer.

Since I am running all this on a netbook, I am really looking for speed ... all I use it for is for internet access, email, music on the go ... so the faster the better ... we shall see in the next few days.

I just tried to run wicd on 9.10 NBR ... I cannot for the life of me get it to work, it cannot find any of my local networks etc ... and I cannot get gnome-network-manager to wok in e17 ...
    Last edited by Drackonn; November 2nd, 2009 at 11:43 AM.

Beans

I was going to give this a shot, but from the looks of it, there is no repository for the powerpc, which is what the PS3 uses

Beans

Hey everyone.
    Nice job on the install guide. I have 3 issues I am dealing with right now:
    1. Loading nm-applet on login
    - I know you suggested wicd as the default, but for whatever reason, it had a hard time connecting to the various routers on campus. Also, it displays each individual router, even if thay all have the same ssid. For these reasons, i chose to go back to NetworkManager. But now I cant get it to load on login, and i have to call it manually. Im a n00b at scripting, and did try my hand at it, but without any luck.

2. I cant get the alt-ctrl-backspace behaviour to come back. I tried modifying xorg.conf, but had no luck. any suggestions?

3. enlightenment seems to freeze randomly on login. restarting enlightenment fixes the issue, and i dont have any more problems until my next login. any suggestions on where to start with this on?

Thanks all!

Edit:

I have now fixed all three. First line gets alt-ctrl-backspace back.

<code>
    #!/bin/bash

setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp
    nm-applet&
    </code>
    Last edited by Zezu; January 28th, 2010 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Updating

Beans

There is a howto somewhere on getting networkmanager to lauch at startup in e17, I cant seem to find it though ....

as for me, I will be back to running NBR, until I can figure something else out, wicd doesnt work well with the hidden networks at my job, so i cant use the internet there, exalt doesnt work ...

Im also not linux savvy enough to install ubuntu and then strip it down to what I want without breaking things, and the minimal installs dont recognize my network adapter on the eeepc to install a command line or minimal install ... so I will be waiting for some more 1005ha support before attempting this again.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast