Hello,

I've had this computer for about a month and modified it to dual boot originally in Zenwalk along with Windows, but couldn't get the ethernet to work in Zen. When researching this problem, I came across this website:

http://www.jfwhome.com/2009/08/06/pe...omment-page-1/

and decided to try it, so I wiped Zen off the hard drive and installed jaunty. I made it all the way to the wireless connection (ethernet works - yay!) but there is no sign of life on the wireless side. I installed the jaunty backports like it says on the website and when I check on the synaptic package manager, there are green boxes next to:

linux-backports-modules-jaunty /the installed version is 2.6.28.15.20, which is also the latest version.

Also installed is:

linux-backports-modules-jaunty-generic /the installed version is the same as above which is also the latest.

There are no bars on the wireless and when I right click on the network manager, wireless is enabled along with networking. When I go to edit connections and click on the wireless tab, there is no list of available networks even though I have my router next to the computer and ther e are about 9 other networks seen when I run windows (or when I used to run zenwalk).

Ironically, Zenwalk's network manager could see the networks with a straight out of the box installation (but no ethernet).

I'm not sure what to do. I tried to click on "add" and give my network name and other pertinent facts but that just killed my ethernet and I had to reinstall everything to get it working again. So I'm being more patient and cautious this time. I need to know where to start. I would like to try to get wireless going so that I have both ethernet and wireless. If I can't, I'll have to go back to Zen because I need the wireless more than I need the ethernet. Of course, without both, I still have to use windows from time to time and I'm trying to move away from that so, it would be nice to get a linux installation where both will work. Any ideas are welcome and thanks in advance.