Thread: Good rant for web developers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Good rant for web developers

This page is really intended to be shown to developers of badly-designed websites.
    Now, I know that we're all linux users here, so those of us who do any such work will already avoid the IE only type pages, but there's a lot of useful tips there too.

So, don't think I'm accusing anyone here of making bad websites, despite the first line being:

"Are you a brain-dead website author? You probably are, if you've been “directed” to read this page."

I'm not directing anyone, just informing.

And if you do come across a page which doesn't work properly (and we linux users are more likely to) you know what link to send to the author.

I hope no-one sends it to me...
    Some people say I'm a man of few words, but the fact is that most people talk too much without actually saying anything.

Beans

Re: Good rant for web developers

Nice!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I think that the guy who wrote this let his anger overcome his senses, he says a lot of stupid things there, i ll just quote one:

Relying on Java or JavaScript, is stupid
    and i ll give you just one thing that without javascript wouldnt exist: gmail.

I stop reading that thing, its not worth my time.

and before you crucify me, i work as a webdeveloper, and i use javascript and all this crap a lot, mainly for workarounds so my stuff could work on IE, cause IE is the worst virus on the internet!
    Last edited by sapo; February 10th, 2006 at 12:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I think that the guy who wrote this let his anger overcome his senses, he says a lot of stutupid things there, i ll just quote one:

Quote:
    Relying on Java or JavaScript, is stupid

and i ll give you just one thing that without javascript wouldnt exist: gmail.

I stop reading that thing, its not worth my time.

and before you crucify me, i work as a webdeveloper, and i use javascript and all this crap a lot, mainly for workarounds so my stuff could work on IE, cause IE is the worst virus on the internet!
    Maybe he is referring to people who use Javascript all the time when they could use html instead?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Though some of his advices make sense, I get the feeling the he wants back the "glorious times" when the Web was all plain-text ... thus I feel free to continue designing stupid webpages with Javascript and some eyecandy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Illidan
    Maybe he is referring to people who use Javascript all the time when they could use html instead?
    Maybe he is, but, he wrote it in an "angered" tone, that seens that javascript should be banned from the world, and i like javascript, specially ajax.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by sapo
    Maybe he is, but, he wrote it in an "angered" tone, that seens that javascript should be banned from the world, and i like javascript, specially ajax.
    I didn't really have time to read it all. He does raise some good points, but the tone that he uses is indeed rather flawed. Calling someone a moron is not the way to help or teach.

Gmail and Googlemaps are made with Ajax and they are very good apps. The web is progressing, and javascript can't just be thrown out of the window, nor flash for that matter.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sapo
    I got the impression he meant "don't use it just because you don't want to learn the proper way." As we all know, sometimes javascript is necessary. Most of the time it isn't.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Illidan
    Calling someone a moron is not the way to help or teach.
    But he does state that this page is designed to be sent to developers who have already been approached nicely first.
    Some people say I'm a man of few words, but the fact is that most people talk too much without actually saying anything.