Hi everyone, appreciate all the great help I've gotten from this forum! I've run into a problem with my Acer Aspire L100, it completely shuts down during boot-up just before the GUI comes up. I had installed jaunty on it about a month ago and it has run perfectly up until now. I can't find any hardware issues (ps, ram, hd, etc all have been tested) and I resorted to a clean install of XP to test and it works fine. I have the same problem with a clean install on the hard drive and from the boot cd. I've tried the following things with no change so far...
-clean install of 9.04
-boot from 9.04 i386 cd (original disk that first worked) with every combination of F6 options, apic=off, nolapic, etc.
-boot from 8.04 amd64 cd with same boot options
-flashed the BIOS with the latest version from Acer's website from clean install of XP

I started getting this error on boot up when the problem began:
MP-BIOS:8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC
Which is what made me try flashing the BIOS and the apic=off option on the boot cd. My BIOS settings have an option to disable apic but it is ghosted so I can't change it to try that out.

I'm all out of ideas to try, if anyone has any suggestions, it would be most appreciated!