Thread: Using cron to run a PHP script

Beans

Using cron to run a PHP script

Hey all,

I've got a publicly accessible PHP script that I want to run automatically every 5 minutes. It harvests some data from an SQL database, writes that data to a file, then FTPs that file to a remote server. The script runs just fine when I run it from a browser.

I've not done much with cronjobs in the past, so I've done a lot of searching and reading about it the past couple of days. I was able to succesfully run a cronjob that writes a simple file to my home directory.

The user that I have set the cron up for is a member of the www-data group which owns the directory the PHP script is in, and it is group executable (775.)

This is the crontab entry:

1,6,11,16,21,26,31,36,41,46,51,56 * * * * /var/www/ghfchat/users/sendonline.php

For some reason it doesn't appear to be running; the file is not written on either system.

I've also tried this for testing purposes:

* * * * * /var/www/ghfchat/users/sendonline.php

And finally, as per a forum suggestion I read, I set it up as root as so:

sudo -s
    crontab -e

* * * * * /var/www/ghfchat/users/sendonline.php

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I can try to get this functioning?

TIA!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Using cron to run a PHP script

You can't execute the script directly... It needs to be run by php. Easiest thing to do would be to use wget output to /dev/null.

also, you can use */5 to represent each number divisible by 5 (unless being 1 minute ahead of the minutes you posted is an issue?)

just put this in a file in /etc/cron.d/
    Code:
    */5 * * * * nobody wget -O http://localhost/ghfchat/users/sendonline.php
    though you may also be able to call php to execute the script (i.e. bypassing apache), but I have no idea how to do that.

EDIT: Also, make the script in /etc/crond.d/ executable with "chmod a+x /etc/cron.d/[scriptname]

EDIT: ACK! just realized I left the username field out of that... Files in cron.d./ need a username field... fixed just now. (using the user "nobody" which is sort of an unprivileged root user. After all, no administrative permissions required to view a web page is there?)
    Last edited by undecim; September 30th, 2009 at 03:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Try:
    Code:
    * * * * * php /var/www/ghfchat/users/sendonline.php

Beans

Thanks guys!

It's funny, I just sorted out the problem and came by to see if anyone had replied. I got it right.

I finally got it work by installing php5-cli, then modifying the crontab entry like so:

*/5 * * * * php /home/fliggerty/sendonline.php

I appreciate the help!

--Fligg

Beans

I'm trying to do the same thing and I just want to make sure I'm placing the cron config file in the same location you did

Code:
    /etc/cron.d/myconfile
    I've read that I can use

Code:
    crontab -e
    which will open a nano editor but I don't have a clue where that file gets saved and every time I've tried putting my alterations there nothing works. Same goes for uploading a text file then using

Code:
    crontab mytextfile.txt
    which then i can use the crontab editor i see that text file loaded into the cron but still no luck getting it to run.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Mike The KID View Post
    I'm trying to do the same thing and I just want to make sure I'm placing the cron config file in the same location you did

Code:
    /etc/cron.d/myconfile
    I've read that I can use

Code:
    crontab -e
    which will open a nano editor but I don't have a clue where that file gets saved and every time I've tried putting my alterations there nothing works. Same goes for uploading a text file then using

Code:
    crontab mytextfile.txt
    which then i can use the crontab editor i see that text file loaded into the cron but still no luck getting it to run.
    This should work:
    Code:
    crontab -e
    Then make your changes and save the file. It will be installed automatically. Here is some documentation that you might find helpful.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CronHowto

To view your current crontab, run the following command:

Code:
    crontab -l

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi,

You need something like the following

* * * * * cd /var/www/application; php -f yourfile.php

That will work - I'm using this for one I must run.

Also make sure your php cli is working