Thread: faubackup --ignore option

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

faubackup --ignore option

I'm hoping that someone here has experience with the faubackup package. I want to start using it instead of 'tar' to manage my backups. It's a simple enough command but I can't find any examples of how to use the --ignore option to exclude certain directories. I have tried things like:
    Code:
    --ignore-/home/tgeer/Music
    and
    --ignore=/home/tgeer/Music/
    and
    --ignore=/home/tgeer/Music/*
    and none of them are working correctly.

So does anyone know the correct syntax for the --ignore option?

Thanks in advance,

tgeer
    "Programming is an art form that fights back."

HP Pavillion DV9500T 17" Notebook • 2.2GHz Core2 Duo • 4GB RAM • Nvidia Geforce 8600M GS 512MB
    Running Ubuntu 10.04 [64-bit]+Gnome+Compiz from HD / Puppy Linux 4.2.1SMP in RAM from USB Flash

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: faubackup --ignore option

Well, I got it partly figured out by trial and error.
    The correct syntax is:
    Code:
    --ignore="**/Music"
    The double-quotes are only needed if the file name or directory name contains spaces.

What I haven't figured out yet is how to specify more than one pattern to ignore. The man page says:
    --ignore=pattern
    Add patterns for files that should not be backed up. Those will be directly passed to faubackup-find.
    Notice that it says "adds patterns" which seems to indicate that multiple patterns can be specified. I've tried using spaces and commas to separate the patterns like this:
    Code:
    --ignore="**/Music","**/Videos"
    and
    --ignore="**/Music" "**/Videos"
    but those don't work. I even tried using '--ignore=' multiple times on the command line but no joy.

I don't know what else to try.

tgeer

HP Pavillion DV9500T 17" Notebook • 2.2GHz Core2 Duo • 4GB RAM • Nvidia Geforce 8600M GS 512MB
    Running Ubuntu 10.04 [64-bit]+Gnome+Compiz from HD / Puppy Linux 4.2.1SMP in RAM from USB Flash

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I never did figure out how to specify multiple patters to ignore from the command line but I was able to accomplish the same thing by specifying them in /etc/faubackup.conf.

I'd still like the flexibility to specify everything on the command line rather than having to edit faubackup.conf every time I want to change my backup parameters.

I'll leave this thread open for a couple of days to see if anyone can answer my original question.

tgeer

Beans
    Hidden!

If its anything like rsync, you can just keep specifying more --ignore=PATTERN options.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by falconindy View Post
    If its anything like rsync, you can just keep specifying more --ignore=PATTERN options.
    Yeah, in my post #2 I mentioned that I had tried using ignore=PATTERN more than once in the command but no joy.
    Maybe I had something else wrong with the syntax at that point so I'll give it another shot but I'm not holding my breath.
    The config file uses slightly different syntax than the command line but works just fine for me in specifying multiple ignore patterns.

tgeer