Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just a Question from a man

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Just a Question from a man

i am a man too. (maybe a boy actually because i am only 17). perceiving that women like pink, dont like computers, cant do anything, is so baseless. we are all humans, we all have our talents and are equal.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wildman4god View Post
    Ditto, sometimes I'm ashamed to be a man after I see how most of them treat women.
    NEVER be ashamed to be a man!

What you need is not one of those "Don't lump me together with those fools" attitude.. What you really need is to be able to distinguish REAL men from the hooligans..

-- also, don't read beyond this point if you're a busy person..

My opinion on the matter is that men usually base their views of women on their mothers(whether we like it or not); being the first women we've ever known and all.. But as you know, a mother PROBABLY doesn't show all of her dimensions to her child.. maybe just the motherly/caretaker side plus a few others.. There are many things the child doesn't know about..

just my insight.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by renkinjutsu View Post
    never be ashamed to be a man!

What you need is not one of those "don't lump me together with those fools" attitude.. What you really need is to be able to distinguish real men from the hooligans..

+10000

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You can readme on the disguise tread ot shesbuntu, but...

I sometimes expressed surprise at the mention of any young person using Linux,
    because i like to bring up more people to Linux when young, i dont know if this is bad.

And i got female business partner,
    that talks about how hot the XYZ male singer are,
    I said I hope he are judged more strongly on their brains than looks or sing,
    i dont know if this is bad..

So maybe its the same sometimes doesnt matter of sex

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by renkinjutsu View Post
    -- also, don't read beyond this point if you're a busy person..

My opinion on the matter is that men usually base their views of women on their mothers(whether we like it or not); being the first women we've ever known and all.. But as you know, a mother PROBABLY doesn't show all of her dimensions to her child.. maybe just the motherly/caretaker side plus a few others.. There are many things the child doesn't know about..

just my insight.
    There's also pop-culture / the media. Because ugh, really? Not every woman is June Cleaver.

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

upbringing is a factor too. my mum thought me how to treat and respect girls. respect to girls is quite hard to find among boys. then when they become adults, they look down on women as inferior to men

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For most people, men inparticular, media and pop culture is the most powerful influence in their lives. However there are a few of us the choose to listen to our parents, teatchers, pastors, etc... instead of media.

Seriously its rediculous, i've seen grown men take the advice of a comedian over their parents or teachers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

well, part of the issue is conflicting cultural values. in My culture, sexism is bad, while some cultures believe that equal rights are bad. which one is right? I have my answer so i;m not qualified to judge how others should behave, unless I am directly involved in the conversation.
    Last edited by doas777; September 29th, 2009 at 05:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by macogw View Post
    Hopefully very few. We try to moderate well.

Do you count the assumption that anyone into computers must be male as sexist? I do. If you agree that this is sexism:
    - In this forum a couple weeks ago a man expressed surprise at the mention of a 19 year old woman using Linux
    - In a thread dedicated to talking about how hot the Miss Universe contestants are, I said I hope they are judged more strongly on their brains than looks. I was assumed to be a male eunuch.
    - A couple months ago in this forum a few men made the claim that women's brains simply couldn't handle working on Free Software the way men's can. Also, that the men needed to mansplain to women all about how women work and what women feel--because we are incapable of recognizing or understanding our own thoughts and feelings.

Hrm, kinda funny that 2 of the most sexist comments I can remember were in the UW subforum.

I cannot attest to how many women are harassed on the boards in private message, however. Since I'm a mod, people are usually smart enough not to harass me
    I can remember one time a mod called laroza had somewhere in the forums told that she was a girl. and then after that I saw that she in a post also mentioned that this episode had to some of the forum members mend that they interacted with her differently-.

I also remember one certain episode where she put a certain male poster in his place for making a bit too sexually oriented post direted to her.
    I guess that not all are smart enough to not harras the mods even that it might not be the most common thing.

I however think its a shame how all the threads that brings this subject up gets closed. I have very little to say other than I dislike sexism and racism. it is too me the same thing but why could we not just make a tread that could allow all the different views no matter how heated things might get to once and for all settle this .

I do not purpose this thread as sort of the ones that survieve is right and those who didendt was wrong but as a means of once and for all if anthing that seems to important enough to keep popping up from time to time be discussed until there is no more to add to the discussion.

just a suggestion.
    please buy this online only compilation to support victims of japan. http://www.punk4japan.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by doas777 View Post
    well, part of the issue is conflicting cultural values. in My culture, sexism is bad, while some cultures believe that equal rights are bad. which one is right? I have my answer so i;m not qualified to judge how others should behave, unless I am directly involved in the conversation.
    Of course you're qualified to judge how others should behave, and in that particular case (and lots of others), you should do just that. Refusal to "judge" others, because after all, it's just a matter of "cultural values" is a plague and has led to countless atrocities. If you had a mutilated woman right in front of you, would you tell her "I'm not qualified to judge, it's just cultural values"?
    Last edited by Bachstelze; September 29th, 2009 at 05:57 PM.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast