Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte T1028M collective thread

Beans

Re: Gigabyte T1028M collective thread

I finally had the time to update the thread. New features include: touchscreen workarounds, power-plug issues, possible SmartManager substitute, slight 'redesign'. Hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

I installed UNR 9.10 yesterday - I must say I wasn't very happy at all at first. It seemed as if everything weren't just working as intended. For example, the new Software Centre seems intended for complete idiots and it actually takes longer to install software (more clicks) - and the first time I ran it I couldn't install anything because I had no "install button" at first, second time that button showed up.

I can confirm petr's advice for the touchpad works a charm!

I have also followed the advice with getting the touchscreen callibration to act more stabel with making the .fdi file - and I can confirm it works well.

I have some problems I would really appreciate help with:

1) I cannot get an on screen keyboard to pop up with the pressing of the hard button on the left hand side of the T1028 (the battery indicator button) - It might be a problem with onBoard. I selected onboard as the default onscreen keyboard in the assistive technologies window. And I set that hard button on the left to initiate onboard in the shortcuts application - but to no avail. Would love this to work.

2) I do not know how to emulate a right-click with the touch-screen, that would be really handy (it would be nice if a right click is initiated on a click-and-hold on the touchscreen). How to I do that?

3) It is extremely irritating that all applications in the Launcher interface (except for the favourites menu) is recognised as a click-and-drag when tapped on with the touchscreen. I know this has been mentioned earlier.

4) On more of a side-note, easystroke (gesturing app) does not want to record (or recognise) any 'strokes' - I tried this method also to initiate onBoard - didn't work.

We should keep this thread active and going and share our knowledge.

Thanks guys.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

I figured out how to use onscreen keyboard and the left-hand side hard button - I managed this with Cell-Writer and a custom command in the keyboard shortcuts application.

Still want to know how to right click with my stylus.

Just typed all this with the onscreen keyboard.

Beans

@Sparkarof: nice "typing"

The "right click on hold" should be in the system -> mouse -> accessibility -> "trigger secondary click..."

Thanks for the tip about getting the keyboard shortcut working for cellwriter.
    Last edited by beke; November 2nd, 2009 at 10:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by beke View Post
    @Spararof: nice "typing"

The "right click on hold" should be in the system -> mouse -> accessibility -> "trigger secondary click..."

Thanks for the tip about getting the keyboard shortcut working for cellwriter.
    @ beke: Thanks for the Right-click tip - it works a charm!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

I must apologise for my ignorance, but what does this mean? I'm very new to Ubuntu.

"I figured out how to use onscreen keyboard and the left-hand side hard button - I managed this with Cell-Writer"

I installed Karmic on my T1028m a few days ago and I'm having a few problems:

I've calibrated my touchscreen a few times but find that it is only accurate in the middle of the screen. The closer I get to the edges the more inaccurate it gets.

If I go into System>Preferences>Mouse there are no options for the touchpad. I'd like to configure the multi-touch capabilities.

If I use any application that requires me to save (eg if I want to save a text doc) the "Save As" dialogue box takes about a minute to appear and then about another 5 minutes to become populated with options. I've found the same thing when trying to import music into Rhythmbox where the "Import From Folder" dialogue box really takes its time.

I don't know if this is a problem with my Netbook or with Koala. Any ideas?

Beans

Hey doonit! To help you out, please give us some more info.

0) For key bindings check out the keyboard shortcuts in the system section of the UNR launcher. You can add new applications and bind them to the button.

1) Calibration. Have you tried either solution suggested in the main post, i.e., the fdi or the eGalax driver?

2) Touchpad configuration. I must admit I haven't tried anything fancy yet, so hopefully somebody else can help. Two finger scrolling works automatically on mine. What else are you missing? Are you sure that this is a touchpad, not an application issue?

3) The "hanging" I haven't encountered, but I remember seeing this on another netbook. Back then it was an issue with the virtual resolution. Have you increased the virtual resolution (e.g. by setting up an external monitor)? Reversing this in /etc/X11/xorg.conf might be worth a try.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Hi beke. Sorry but I've been kinda busy. Played around last night again. Did the fdi thing from the beginning of this thread and that sorted out my screen calibration issue. Sweet!

For your point 2) above you are right, two finger scrolling works out the box but I was kinda hoping to get three finger gestures working as they did with XP. Really got used to 3 finger taps for right mouse clicks, three fingers left for back, right for forward, up for My Computer and down for move to different (minimised) running app. Mostly its the back gesture I want. Not very important but nice to have.

Your point 3). No. I havent changed the resolution since installing 9.10. Cant find a fix for the hanging on the forums anywhere. Its a real pain. Given time it usually un-hangs itself but patience is definitely needed.

I have another problem in that my netbook hibernates evrytime I plug in or unplug the battery charger. Seems someone else also has this problem but so far there doesnt seem to be a fix. After hibernating I need to do a restart to get wifi working.

Beans

Hi doonit. Great to hear that the fdi helps.

@2) I guess I never used Windows on it , but we should investigate this.

@3) Just to check: I was speaking of the virtual(!) resolution of the X server, not the actual resolution used for the screen.

4) I was the one with the plug/unplug problem. I haven't found a fix yet, but I haven't had much time with my Gigabyte, so not enough incentive

5) I have another problem and was wondering if anybody else has this. I cannot access the external mic (below the screen).
    Has anybody else got this to work? Or is it a dummy? Windows doesn't seem to "see" it either.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Hi, All is well with me and my T1028 if anyone was wondering. Can anyone tell my how to let the wireless to be enabled automatically on boot? I do not wish to press "Fn" and "F2" each time to get my wifi on - this is a netbook, and I want to use it for the "net" with my "wifi" at every boot.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast