Thread: User details: OS architecture

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

User details: OS architecture

Would be possible to include the OS architecture in the user details?

It would help when troubleshooting issues to check the user architecture along with the distro in the sidebar info, since some solutions are architecture specific and requires completely different approaches.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: User details: OS architecture

Great idea.
    US Army Band Veteran
    Bodybuilding Crew

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I think this should rather be gotten from the users post or as a question to the user.

Most users don't actively update this so at worst the info would be outdated.

I do like this idea just for interest for the users that actively use the forums though

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by drubin View Post
    I think this should rather be gotten from the users post or as a question to the user.

Most users don't actively update this so at worst the info would be outdated.

I do like this idea just for interest for the users that actively use the forums though
    Well, you gave me another idea. What about integrating the forum with the OS? Karmic has the new slideshow, displayed while installing, which has a link to ubuntuforums site. That link could send the OS details to the registration form, so at least new users would have updated info about their system.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I use at least three different computers daily, when accessing the forum, and they change fairly often. I think in a lot of cases the architecture really has nothing to do with most of the questions asked on the forum. Whether 32 bit, 64 bit, Intel, AMD or PPC the questions and answer are mostly the same.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I use at least three different computers daily, when accessing the forum, and they change fairly often. I think in a lot of cases the architecture really has nothing to do with most of the questions asked on the forum. Whether 32 bit, 64 bit, Intel, AMD or PPC the questions and answer are mostly the same.
    Yep, but most newcomers probably use a single system/machine. Besides, this could be included in the distro option itself. Just need to add one more option for each OS of the Ubuntu family. There is no need to create a new database entry or page form this way.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    Yep, but most newcomers probably use a single system/machine. Besides, this could be included in the distro option itself. Just need to add one more option for each OS of the Ubuntu family. There is no need to create a new database entry or page form this way.
    Note for those contemplating the figures: there are a couple of threads discussing how many computers/OSes people use. This is one of them: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=540033
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog