Thread: [HOW-TO]Chromium's "Application Shortcuts" functionality in Firefox WITHOUT Prism

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

[HOW-TO]Chromium's "Application Shortcuts" functionality in Firefox WITHOUT Prism

NOTE: THIS MAY ONLY WORK PROPERLY ON UBUNTU. Please confirm if this does work in Kubuntu/Xubuntu and what the steps are for navigating Konqueror. For now, I only have directions for Nautilus.

I don't know about you, but I really like the idea behind Chromium's "Create Application Shortcut". Basically, what Chromium does when you create an "Application Shortcut" is it creates a desktop icon which opens a Chromium window without toolbars, statusbars, and the like. The only problem is, I really love firefox and I wanted something similar. After a bit of hunting around, I found Prism. Here's the catch: it doesn't work! at least on my Jaunty install. So I decided to figure out an alternate way. After a bit of fiddling, I figured out a great way to duplicate Chromium's functionality. Here are the steps:
    1. Go to the terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal) and type the following (or copy and paste)
    Code:
    firefox -P
    Firefox should open with a window called "Profile Manager". Click on "Create New Profile" and call it WebApps. Click on "Finish" and click "Exit".

2. Download the script here, save it to your home directory, and make it executable (right-click on the file -> Properties -> Permissions -> check "Allow this file to run as a program"). Then, right-click on the Applications menu -> Edit Menu -> Accessories (in left-hand column) -> New Item -> fill in "Appify" for Name, /home/username/appify.sh for "Command", where username is your username, and click "OK". To run the script, just click on the menu item or double click on the script and follow the prompts. To run as a Terminal app, simply type in
    Code:
    appify install <URL> <Name>
    or
    Code:
    appify uninstall <Name>
    3. [OPTIONAL] To apply a custom icon, follow the following steps (Custom icons do not always work: I've had a few that just wouldn't show up). First, create the application shortcut as above. Then, open a new Terminal window (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal). Then type in
    Code:
    cd ./.local/share/applications
    Finally type
    Code:
    gedit nameofwebsite.desktop
    where nameofwebsite is the name of the menu item you would like to change the icon of. Add these two lines at the end to apply a custom icon:
    Code:
    Name[en_US]= Name of website
    Icon[en_US]=/path/to/local/icon
    Getting the favicon for a website is really easy. Just follow these steps. First, browse to the web address. Second, in Firefox, right-click and select "View Page Info" -> "Media" tab -> find the favicon in the list, select it, and click "Save As..."

4. DON'T CLICK ON THE SHORTCUT YET!!! Download the file here, untar it (right-click on it and click "Extract here"), and copy the contents of the extracted folder to the following location:
    Code:
    /home/username/.mozilla/firefox/[long string of characters].[name of profile]
    To get to this place graphically, start your File Browser. For Nautilus, click on View -> Show Hidden Files and double-click on .mozilla. Then click on firefox. Finally, click on the folder that terminates with the name of the profile you created: for me, it would be [string of characters].WebApps. Then copy the contents of the folder you extracted earlier into this folder. If Nautilus asks you if it is okay to replace the files, click "Yes". Now click on Applications -> Internet -> whatever the website name is and it should open up a Firefox window with no menubar, statusbar, bookmarks bar, or navigation bar! Please note: you can only run one of these at a time. This means that if you open Facebook using the menu item, you cannot open Google using its menu item until you close the Facebook. This is due to limitations in Firefox, but I'm working on a fix for this.
    That's it! Please feel free to reply with questions, comments, or concerns!
    - Chiraag Nataraj

Version 1.1 now uploaded! - Fixed the no spaces issue in the menu item name. Please redownload the script.
    Version 1.2 now uploaded! - Now also can be used in the terminal. Also added error checking. Please redownload the script.
    Version 1.3 now uploaded! - Now keeps a registry of the items "installed" in ~/.appify/list. You can now also uninstall menu items created by the script! Please redownload the script.
    Version 1.4 now uploaded! - Fixed some bugs and removed the registry - now just checks .local/share/applications to see if it can uninstall. Please redownload the script.
    Last edited by chaanakya_chiraag; November 17th, 2010 at 08:35 PM.