Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Access local server via IP?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question Access local server via IP?

I realize this is probably a total newbie question, but is there a way to access the Apache server here in my local network, by way of it's external IP? (99.*.*.*)

My goal is to make sure (as near as possible) I'm seeing exactly what would be seen by someone when they type my URL.

I made a wild guess that it had something to do with the fact that a browser works by sending out it's request via port 80, while at the same time my Apache server is trying to listen on port 80, and therefore neither can resolve the conflict. With that in mind, I told Apache to listen on port 8080, but that didn't work.

So, is there a simple way to access my Apache server from the external IP? Or is that something that would having me pulling my hair for hours? (For what it's worth, I've tried a few random free proxies, but the results have been less than desirable.)

If you'd prefer to point me to some good links on the topic, I'd be more than happy to study the information there as well.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Access local server via IP?

Access it by the local IP, such as 192.168.1.101

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Doesn't work for me either. I can ping my external IP address from within my home netword, but I can't access it with a browser. I'm not 100% sure but I think it's the router that doesn't allow this.

Anyway, as long as you use the same browser you'll see the same page, regardless of whether you access it internally or externally.

Paul

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-man View Post
    I'm not 100% sure but I think it's the router that doesn't allow this.
    Aye.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My router doesn't allow that either, so for quick checks to make sure things are working (like port forwarding turned on etc), I use the external web proxy:

http://anonymouse.org

that will let you see what other people would see if they go to your external ip address.

Beans
    Distro

Cool Re: Access local server via IP?

Quote Originally Posted by gordintoronto View Post
    Access it by the local IP, such as 192.168.1.101
    I apologize if I was not clear. I want to access my server by its EXTERNAL IP address. As in 99.2.xxx.xxx. I've been accessing it by it's LOCAL address (192.168.1.100). That is not what I'm seeking.

In the future I'll try to be more clear when I say I want to access by EXTERNAL IP.

Thank you for your help though.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by amac777 View Post
    My router doesn't allow that either, so for quick checks to make sure things are working (like port forwarding turned on etc), I use the external web proxy:

http://anonymouse.org

that will let you see what other people would see if they go to your external ip address.
    Actually, I've tried using http://anonymouse.org - as I mentioned:
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlyDubious View Post
    (For what it's worth, I've tried a few random free proxies, but the results have been less than desirable.)
    Quote Originally Posted by kay-man View Post
    Anyway, as long as you use the same browser you'll see the same page, regardless of whether you access it internally or externally.
    Unfortunately, that is not 100% true in this case. I'm trying to teach myself how to use the Google Maps API. If you are not familiar with doing that, Gmaps requires the use of a 'key' that is only good for the URL where the scripts are actually running. So...

• If I use the key for my URL, it will give errors when used from local access.
    • If I us a key for local access, then the API throws up errors when someone tries to access my pages from the outside world.
    • Proxies, won't work because Google sees the request as coming from some URL that does not match my key.

So, as I said, anonymouse and other free proxies don't work for this situation, and I'd like to be able to access my server by it's EXTERNAL IP. (Actually, technically, I'd like to access it by it's URL, but at this point, neither URL nor EXTERNAL IP are accessible)

Thanks for your suggestions though.
    Last edited by HighlyDubious; September 26th, 2009 at 12:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: Access local server via IP?

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstelze View Post
    Aye.
    Am I to understand from your comment that there is no simple way for me to access my server by using it's EXTERNAL IP or URL? Nothing simple like port forwarding, or changing my server to listen on port 8080, or some other simple trick I've not tried?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by HighlyDubious View Post
    Am I to understand from your comment that there is no simple way for me to access my server by using it's EXTERNAL IP or URL? Nothing simple like port forwarding, or changing my server to listen on port 8080, or some other simple trick I've not tried?
    Well you will need to port forward 80 from your internal IP to your external IP first (provided you don't have two interfaces). Then you should be able to access this IP via any external machine (but, unfortunately, not from any internal machine). If you have access to any external terminals, you could do use lynx (one of the more popular command-line style browsers). What's the reason you need to view the server from the external IP? Maybe we can give you another option.

Alex

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by abaden View Post
    Well you will need to port forward 80 from your internal IP to your external IP first (provided you don't have two interfaces). Then you should be able to access this IP via any external machine (but, unfortunately, not from any internal machine). If you have access to any external terminals, you could do use lynx (one of the more popular command-line style browsers). What's the reason you need to view the server from the external IP? Maybe we can give you another option.

Alex
    Yes, I'm already able to access my server from either another PC in my local network, or from a PC outside my network (via the Internet). As mentioned above, I'm trying to use the Google Maps API, and it is fairly particular about what URL it is called from. So my desire is to (somehow) be able to use a PC that is located inside my internal network, to access my server via it's external IP or URL.

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast