Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Missing window borders/title bars

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Missing window borders/title bars

When I have desktop effects on, the boarders and title bars on windows disappear. When desktop effects are off, they come back. Is there a way to fix this without turning off desktop efects?

Beans

Re: Missing window borders/title bars

let me get this straight.

When you enable desktop effects your title bar disapears.. ie you cannot close or minimize windows?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Once the effects are enabled and the titlebars vanish then press ALT + F2 and enter this command;

Code:
    emerald --replace
    Your new window bars will appear now to edit them and also change themes you need emerald theme managaer so search for emerald in Synaptic or enter this command in terminal;

Code:
    sudo apt-get install emerald
    Also it might be a good idea to add emerald to your startup applications to save you having to run through this process again at bootup.
    64-Bit User-Group // Twin-View AMD64 X2 6000+|Geforce 9500GT 1024 MB|8GB PC2-6400 DDR2|500GB Seagate SATA // AMD64 X2 4400+|Geforce 8600GTS |4GB PC2-6400 DDR2|360GB Samsung SATA // Ubuntu 9.04 & 9.10 64-Bit

Beans
    Distro

I can, but not with the buttons on the title bar. I have to use the panel at the bottom and keyboard shortcuts.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tuxxy View Post
    Once the effects are enabled and the titlebars vanish then press ALT + F2 and enter this command;

Code:
    emerald --replace
    Your new window bars will appear now to edit them and also change themes you need emerald theme managaer so search for emerald in Synaptic or enter this command in terminal;

Code:
    sudo apt-get install emerald
    Also it might be a good idea to add emerald to your startup applications to save you having to run through this process again at bootup.
    Oh, u posted before me. Ok i will do that.

Beans

mega replacing with emerald will work but compiz is crashing when your enabling desktop effects theres most likely a problem with your video card clashing with compiz..

Beans
    Distro

emerald --replace didn't do anything, with alt-2 or with the terminal. But the terminal window is completely white with desktop effects enabled so I can't see what is said, but it didn't say anything with desktop effects turned off.

Beans

Looks like either compiz hates you or your video driver is lacking.

Without desktop effects enabled, open a terminal and type glxgears.

Do you get a window with 3D gears?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yes you cant run emerald without compiz enabled. If compiz is giving you errors first then emerald will not be able to run anyway.
    64-Bit User-Group // Twin-View AMD64 X2 6000+|Geforce 9500GT 1024 MB|8GB PC2-6400 DDR2|500GB Seagate SATA // AMD64 X2 4400+|Geforce 8600GTS |4GB PC2-6400 DDR2|360GB Samsung SATA // Ubuntu 9.04 & 9.10 64-Bit

Beans
    Distro

glxgears does give me gears. OpenGl apps work, but some games are incredibly slow. And besides the window borders, the desktop effects work very well. And fast, too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast