Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Facing problem with magnet link

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Facing problem with magnet link

Good morning everybody.
    I am facing a problem associated magnet link. I am trying to download from seedpeer using magnet link. But firefox show me the following message
    Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (magnet) isn't associated with any program.
    Then I googled and find a solution of the error from the link
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=308130
    and the solution is
    Type about:config into the address bar and press Enter.
    * Right-click -> New -> Boolean -> Name: network.protocol-handler.external.magnet -> Value -> true
    * Right-click -> New -> String -> Name: network.protocol-handler.app.magnet -> Value -> /opt/azureus/azureus
    * Ensure network.protocol-handler.expose-all is set to true.
    I have vuze 4.2.0.2.1~getdeb1 (according to synaptic; also in synaptic this is in the "Installed (local or obsolete)" section).
    By using the command
    which vuze
    I found the path of vuze is /usr/bin/vuze.
    But after doing everything firefox again show me the previous error.
    Please help me.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Ubuntu.

Beans

Re: Facing problem with magnet link

This thread might be a bit old already but the problem is still there.

I found this older thread and after repeating these steps vuze at least tries to download a magnet link.

Code:
    gconftool-2 -t string -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/magnet/command "/usr/bin/vuze %s"
    gconftool-2 -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/magnet/needs_terminal false -t bool
    gconftool-2 -t bool -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/magnet/enabled true
    It still fails, however, saying "no sources found for torrent". The reason seems to be that Vuze modifies the magnet link in an illegal way. If I try this link, e.g. which should point to a karmic iso, vuze outputs

Code:
    Downloading From :magnet:?xt=urn:btih:98c5c361d0be5f2a07ea8fa5052e5aa48097e7f6&&&&
    The same problem seems to be described here in the Vuze forums a year ago and it is still "not answered".

Beans

exactly same experience as Tapas Bose,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm running Firefox 3.5.5 on KDE and I'm facing the same problem, when trying to associate the magnet link with Ktorrent.

Beans

i keep getting:

Code:
    Error :  no sources found for torrent
    if i try to use magnet link in vuze...

Beans

I also have the same problem. I use Deluge. I'm on Jaunty, 64-bit.

I tried the settings in the original post (subsituting path to deluge), with same result.

Looks like suddenly many people are having this problem... perhaps because piratebay has just started providing magnet links, , with big magnet-logo announcement on the main screen, so, like me, you decided to try them out for the first time?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I am running ubuntu 9.04. Using ktorrent from synaptic gives me this error when i try to open magenet link (open url)

KTorrent
    Version 3.2.1
    Using KDE 4.2.2 (KDE 4.2.2)

Could not start process Unable to create io-slave:
    klauncher said: Unknown protocol 'magnet'.
    I am unable to use azureus to open magnet links because claims is not found.

Downloading From :magnetxt=urn:btih:98c5c361d0be5f2a07ea8fa5052e5aa48097e7 f6&&&&...
    Searching...
    Error : no sources found for torrent
    Last edited by Prometheus28; November 17th, 2009 at 06:22 PM.

Beans

The instructions in post #2 from erpel work to get Firefox directing the magnet link to the desired application... except I must not have the form of the command right. Deluge starts up, but does not start a torrent for the magnet link. If I try the same command from the command line, I get:

Code:
    greylander@Tesseract:~$ deluge magnet:?xt=urn:btih:0c43bbd12170a1bf3be3287544e190fa7d04f9cf&dn=Enigma+all+albums&tr=http%3A%2F%2Ftracker.prq.to%2Fannounce
    [1] 12051
    [2] 12052
    [2]+  Done                    dn=Enigma+all+albums
    greylander@Tesseract:~$ 1.1.6
    /var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: GtkWarning: gtk_toolbar_set_icon_size: assertion `icon_size != GTK_ICON_SIZE_INVALID' failed
      "glade/main_window.glade"))
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/gtkui.py", line 260, in _on_new_core
        component.start()
      File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/component.py", line 198, in start
        _ComponentRegistry.start()
      File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/component.py", line 118, in start
        self.start_component(component)
      File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/component.py", line 130, in start_component
        self.components[name].start()
      File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/queuedtorrents.py", line 90, in start
        self.on_button_add_clicked(None)
      File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/queuedtorrents.py", line 195, in on_button_add_clicked
        self.liststore.foreach(add_torrent, None)
      File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/queuedtorrents.py", line 184, in add_torrent
        component.get("AddTorrentDialog").add_from_magnets([torrent_path])
      File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/gtkui/addtorrentdialog.py", line 221, in add_from_magnets
        info_hash = base64.b32decode(uri.split("&")[0][20:]).encode("hex")
      File "/usr/lib/python2.6/base64.py", line 222, in b32decode
        raise TypeError('Non-base32 digit found')
    TypeError: Non-base32 digit found
    /var/lib/python-support/python2.6/deluge/ui/tracker_icons.py:70: DeprecationWarning: BaseException.message has been deprecated as of Python 2.6
      log.debug("%s %s %s" % (url, e, e.message))

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i guess %s should be enclosed in double quotes, so:
    Code:
    "%s"

Beans

Hi!

Here is a solution to this problem for Vuze:
    http://forum.vuze.com/thread.jspa?th...86970&tstart=0

"According to http://www.bittorrent.org/beps/bep_0...net-uri-format , info-hash in a magnet URI should be in HEX. For compatibility a client should also support info-hashes in base32 encoding.

However, Azureus recognizes only magnet URIs with info-hashes in base32. For magnet URIs with info-hashes in HEX it just sits there a while, trying to find the torrent, and then fails to do so (apparently it interprets the hash as base32-encoded when it is really just HEX-encoded).

This feature has been fixed in version 4.3.0.1_b04
    You can download it from here:
    http://azureus.sourceforge.net/
    http://azureus.sourceforge.net/index_CVS.php

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast