Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NAEV - 2D Space Combat / Trading Game

Beans
    Hidden!

NAEV - 2D Space Combat / Trading Game

To quote the website, "NAEV is a 2D space trading and combat game, in a similar vein to Escape Velocity.

NAEV is played from a top-down perspective, featuring fast-paced combat, many ships and outfits, and a large galaxy to explore. The game is highly open-ended, letting players proceed at their own paces."

There's a handy package available at PlayDeb and downloads are also available at our Google Code page.

Screenshots:

Gameplay videos are at Youtube, both early and late game. Recorded with glc, which is an awesome piece of software.

0.4.0 is fresh out of the oven, released on September 18th. The Changelog is available for those interested.

Code and data are, of course, completely free. GPLv3 code, various licensing on the media (GPLv2, GPLv3, PD, CC-By (and -SA) 3.0).

Our primary communication method is IRC, #naev on Freenode.

Beans

Re: NAEV - 2D Space Combat / Trading Game

Wow! This is too cool. I spent way too many afternoons playing Escape Velocity back when it came out.

Spent about an hour playing so far; I died a lot, but I'm liking it. Seems to be a little short on missions, but I guess that'll fill out in time. I had some weird issues when I enabled VBOs (Intel drivers, I guess?) but they don't happen when VBOs are disabled.

Thanks for the link!

Beans

I'll have to check it out. I used to love playing escape velocity on my friends mac 15-20 years ago.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Looks like a cool game! Might get it. Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by NewlyHuman View Post
    Wow! This is too cool. I spent way too many afternoons playing Escape Velocity back when it came out.

Spent about an hour playing so far; I died a lot, but I'm liking it. Seems to be a little short on missions, but I guess that'll fill out in time. I had some weird issues when I enabled VBOs (Intel drivers, I guess?) but they don't happen when VBOs are disabled.

Thanks for the link!
    Regarding missions, that's one of the main things we're lacking. Plenty of work has gone into graphics, sound and features, but there haven't been any new campaigns in months.

The latter issue's known about, the drivers are 100% responsible for it. Not sure if the VBO issues are fixed in driver versions newer than what Ubuntu packages.
    Last edited by Deiz; September 25th, 2009 at 07:14 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yep, this is one awesome game. Thanks for the download link!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Hmm.. would love to try it, but it seems not being able to install under karmic. Guess I have to wait...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by neferty View Post
    Hmm.. would love to try it, but it seems not being able to install under karmic. Guess I have to wait...
    If you used playdeb then you have to install the playdeb package. Here it is: http://archive.getdeb.net/install_de...etdeb1_all.deb

Now, after you have that package installed, it should work. It takes a while for it to start the download though, so be patient. Good luck!

Beans

I discovered the Lua API last night, and the console. Cheated myself some cash, but I still have trouble killing the biggest Empire cruisers even with a bunch of railgun turrets.

I think I've run out of scripted missions, but that's just as well; I'm quite content just blowing things up.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by NewlyHuman View Post
    I discovered the Lua API last night, and the console. Cheated myself some cash, but I still have trouble killing the biggest Empire cruisers even with a bunch of railgun turrets.

I think I've run out of scripted missions, but that's just as well; I'm quite content just blowing things up.
    In general, AI ships are well-rounded, so facing off against a ship similar in size to your own either requires shield upgrades or bigger guns than they have.

Against cruisers, I tend to use beam weapons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast