Thread: Inkscape: convert raster to vector

Beans

Inkscape: convert raster to vector

I want to convert raster digital camera photographs to vector images and I do not know how to do it. I opened a png or tiff in inkscape and saved it as svg but when I opened the svg and zoomed in the image became pixelated.

My main idea for raster to vector was to see if a vector image could keep a similar amount of detail when compared to a raster photo. Part of my desire to do this is because I want to use vector graphics for the game I am working on.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Inkscape: convert raster to vector

Quote Originally Posted by billdotson View Post
    I want to convert raster digital camera photographs to vector images and I do not know how to do it. I opened a png or tiff in inkscape and saved it as svg but when I opened the svg and zoomed in the image became pixelated.

My main idea for raster to vector was to see if a vector image could keep a similar amount of detail when compared to a raster photo. Part of my desire to do this is because I want to use vector graphics for the game I am working on.

Thanks.
    Wikipedia has a table of converters. Looks like there are some GPL ones but I don't known how good they are:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_raster_to_vector_conversion_software

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

What you have done is imbed the tiff file into the svg file. It's still a bitmap, it hasn't been vectorized.

Inkscape can easily vectorize bitmaps by opening them, selecting the bitmap object (by clicking on it once), then going to the menu item Path->Trace Bitmap
    A dialog window will open with all sorts of options. You will probably want to select Multiple Scans -> Colors and increase the number of color layers it traces.

Then the last step is to delete the bitmap that is embedded in the image (move the new vector layer out of the way) then save the image.

Here's a more complete tutorial: http://www.inkscape.org/doc/tracing/...l-tracing.html

Hope that helps.
    What makes a great open source contributor is not primarily the brilliance of their ideas or importance of their bug, but rather their willingness to see it through to success.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Stochastic already explained how to vectorize the image, so just wanted to point out that vectorizing pohotos will result in considerably larger images than the original bitmap file if you want to keep all the details. Instead of defining just a pixel color it would have to create a new object for each pixel, and then define the objects shape, location and color. That's a lot more data so vectorizing photographs only makes sense if you reduce colors and details, never if you want to maintain the same level of details.

Beans

Accelerated-IO.com has an online app that can convert raster to SVG then animates it. The app can also edit existing animation. Check http://www.pac-n-zoom.com/.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus