Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jaunty keeps freezing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Jaunty keeps freezing

I have recently done a full install of Ubuntu 9.04 because I got fed up with Vista (surprise!). Everything seems to be working fine, except it keeps freezing on me. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it freezes, everything just stops. It started freezing after downloading and installing the ton of updates that would naturally come when just installing. I don't know what I can tell you about what happens, everything justs stops. There's nothing like a blue screen, no error message, nothing. The mouse doesn't move, the system moniter stops scrolling. More recently (this evening), there's been more time between freezes, and that was after I seriously messed around with the graphics drivers (with some help, I wasn't just hitting buttons and what not).

I have a little computer experience, but, as always with this subforum, I invite you to treat me like an idiot. I know where to find the Terminal, and I know its useful to people who know what they're doing, but I don't know any of the language.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Jaunty keeps freezing

Hi,

I'm not an expert, but I know a few things to consider. Does your computer get too hot? How much memory do you have? Do you see your processor get maxed out? and if so, is there any processes causing it?

The others here will probably want a little more info from you... like the above questions and your processor speed, type of graphics card, etc.
    James.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I don't think that its getting too hot. its a new computer (Asus N90sv-x1, no modifications), and the fans seems to be working fine. I have plenty of memory (130 GB), and most of it's free. When looking at the system monitor, it hardly seems to be doing much at all. It is of course possible that just as it freezes, its using too much CPU, and it freezes before that even shows up on the monitor. (this part of the post took me 4 tries to post, btw. I'm currently posting from a computer lab, as my comp has degraded so far that it can't even access the internet. If i try to force it, it freezes.)

Through the time that i made the OP, and now, I've decided that the hardware is having the worst problems. I'm certain Ubuntu is having some problems of its own, as I've had problems like these before. however, i recently found that I'm having some identical problems now as when I had Vista installed. Vista was also freezing and sometimes the display would go, showing a white screen with horizontal gray lines. And now, with Jaunty, its doing the exact same thing. Soon (today, if I have time), I'll be calling Asus, and probably having them fix it. I'm just hoping that Karmic works 10x better with my computer, once it no longer has hardware errors.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Installing a newer kernel seems to solve most soft lock-ups in jaunty (the 2.6.28 Ubuntu versions got messed up somewhere). The code below will install the latest kernel [2.6.31-10.34] from karmic (Ubuntu 9.10). This one-liner will take care of everything.

Copy/paste in a terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal; password will be required):
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/karmic.list && sudo sed -i 's/jaunty/karmic/g' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/karmic.list && sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install linux-firmware linux-generic linux-image-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-2.6.31-10-generic linux-headers-2.6.31-10-generic linux-headers-2.6.31-10 -y && sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/karmic.list && sudo aptitude update
    Last edited by ptn107; September 22nd, 2009 at 02:42 AM.
    Please mark completed threads as [SOLVED], which lets us find solutions faster!

Beans
    Distro

To me this sounds like you have a problem of some sort with your memory that is installed on your system, especially as you say that it is happening in Vista as well. If you have more than one stick of memory take one out and try and see if your system stays stable if not try it with the other stick out. If you have only one stick of memory, do you have a friend who might loan you a stick just to try and see if that solves your prob. Are you using on-board Graphics or have you got a G/Card installed, as depending on how your system is set up in the BIOS, this might also be your problem.

But then again I might be wrong altogether. To me you are describing a memory issue.

Beans

Welcome to the club. There's a bunch of us having the same issue without a solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by norm7446 View Post
    To me this sounds like you have a problem of some sort with your memory that is installed on your system, especially as you say that it is happening in Vista as well. If you have more than one stick of memory take one out and try and see if your system stays stable if not try it with the other stick out. If you have only one stick of memory, do you have a friend who might loan you a stick just to try and see if that solves your prob. Are you using on-board Graphics or have you got a G/Card installed, as depending on how your system is set up in the BIOS, this might also be your problem.

But then again I might be wrong altogether. To me you are describing a memory issue.
    I agree, sound like faulty memory. You can also run a memory test with the ubuntu CD, it may take awhile.
    Spring Icon Set version 1.3 is released!

Spring - Icon Set for Deepin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by ptn107 View Post
    Installing a newer kernel seems to solve most soft lock-ups in jaunty (the 2.6.28 Ubuntu versions got messed up somewhere). The code below will install the latest kernel [2.6.31-10.34] from karmic (Ubuntu 9.10). This one-liner will take care of everything.

Copy/paste in a terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal; password will be required):
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/karmic.list && sudo sed -i 's/jaunty/karmic/g' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/karmic.list && sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install linux-firmware linux-generic linux-image-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-2.6.31-10-generic linux-headers-2.6.31-10-generic linux-headers-2.6.31-10 -y && sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/karmic.list && sudo aptitude update && echo "done!"
    I have similar lockups and tried your command but I keep getting:

bash: !": event not found

Any ideas?
    David
    XBOX Gamertag: bodam
    Serval Professional (serp7) Intel i7-2670QM Proc, 12 GB DDR3 SDRAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 580M Graphics with 2.0GB Memory & 750 GB 7200 RPM SATA II running Squeeze 64-bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

its time for memtest 86!
    except that you have so much RAM (or is that hard disk space you were refering to? 130GB)
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bodam View Post
    I have similar lockups and tried your command but I keep getting:

bash: !": event not found

Any ideas?
    should be
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/karmic.list && sudo sed -i 's/jaunty/karmic/g' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/karmic.list && sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install linux-firmware linux-generic linux-image-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-2.6.31-10-generic linux-headers-2.6.31-10-generic linux-headers-2.6.31-10 -y && sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/karmic.list && sudo aptitude update && echo "done"

do NOT use "!" in the commandline
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast