Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Transcoding

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    South Africa
    Beans
    48
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Transcoding

    Is there any software application I could use on Ubuntu that would allow me to transcode videos into different formats? i.e avi into mpeg
    Ubuntu has turned me into the nerd I've always wanted to be.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Beans
    1

    Re: Transcoding

    avidemux, handbrake ( http://handbrake.fr/ )

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    United States
    Beans
    2,090
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: Transcoding

    devede

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Beans
    271

    Re: Transcoding

    and of course mencoder

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Beans
    7,322

    Re: Transcoding

    Hi Miscible,

    Quote Originally Posted by Miscible21 View Post
    Is there any software application I could use on Ubuntu that would allow me to transcode videos into different formats? i.e avi into mpeg
    If you are prepared to put a bit of work into it FFmpeg is your best answer:

    HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=786095

    All the best,

    Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    South Africa
    Beans
    48
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Transcoding

    Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Hi Miscible,



    If you are prepared to put a bit of work into it FFmpeg is your best answer:

    HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=786095

    All the best,

    Andrew
    That is a bit of work but i will definitely look into using FFmpeg, as well as all the other transcoders. thanks for all replies! you are all really helpful!
    Ubuntu has turned me into the nerd I've always wanted to be.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Birmingham, England
    Beans
    2,400

    Re: Transcoding

    Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Hi Miscible,



    If you are prepared to put a bit of work into it FFmpeg is your best answer:

    HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=786095

    All the best,

    Andrew
    +1

    Bear in mind FFmpeg can be relatively simple, it's just seems the CLI puts people off. FFmpeg allows you to tweak to virtually any level

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    United States
    Beans
    2,090
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: Transcoding

    i would like to know what formats are preference ?

    i can think of many formats especially ones that work on cell phones, ipods products, psp, etc....

    what do you wish to do with this videos ?

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •