Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: What do you think is holding Linux/Ubuntu back at the moment?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Kent, UK
    Beans
    214

    What do you think is holding Linux/Ubuntu back at the moment?

    Just wondering if you think you can outline what it is Ubuntu really needs that will push it further, giving it more of the market and making it a more compelling choice for an end user.

    The two I just outlined on my Twitter (not the most professional place to voice opinion I know but hey it's better than nothing) are strong apps within a particular field, such as Photoshop or Dreamweaver, and integration of stronger suites like iLife.

    The former I feel will improve as Wine becomes better integrated, and as companies see more of a reason to port their software to Linux. The latter is perhaps the place of Ubuntu or a similar distribution to encourage, as it requires the kind of focus and integration often not associated with Open Source!!

    Other things such as ease of use have a tiny way to go, but I believe this will get fixed with gradual development.

    What do you think?

    Hoppi ^_^
    Registered Ubuntu user #28880

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    on top of the world
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: What do you think is holding Linux/Ubuntu back at the moment?

    general ignorance, that is what holds Ubuntu/Linux back.

    EDIT: by "general ignorance" i mean the kind of people mentioned in the thread of the funniest things heard in a computer shop
    Last edited by bodyharvester; September 17th, 2009 at 05:04 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    RiceMonsterland, Canada
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: What do you think is holding Linux/Ubuntu back at the moment?

    I don't think you can narrow it down to one or two things. It's a lot more complex than that.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Topeka, Kansas
    Beans
    2,317
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Re: What do you think is holding Linux/Ubuntu back at the moment?

    Time.

    I mean, I've got most of my family using Ubuntu and know of several people who use it. I couldn't dare to say that only 4 years ago.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    549

    Re: What do you think is holding Linux/Ubuntu back at the moment?

    I mean...when you speak of market share it's not easy to gauge based on factors like awesome applications that apple or adobe makes. The market share for THOSE power users isn't as high as the average check-your-email-facebook-IM people. Sure we power users are more visible but I think the big market isn't as reliant on those factors.

    The factors that do lead to confidence in ANY product is visibility. We're pretty much invisible!

    I believe and feel that the desktop is ready. My father a native of Mexico who didn't use the family computer for ANYTHING untill a year ago started out on Ubuntu. Now mind you he's the type of user that types with one finger and stares at an icon for 10 seconds before clicking it (drives me up the wall, let me tell ya) and after a while I installed windows on that box (Don't remember why). After 6 months of using windows her PREFERRED ubuntu. So yeah, that's just one example, but I think it's a good one.

    Finally! It's just what people are used to. If you want to communicate over the MSN protocol, most people you ask will lead you to MSN messenger, not knowing the linux alternatives. Not getting clear & easy answers to common solutions will drive any average user away from a product.

    I've heard it say many times that CLI rocks and GUI sucks! (Okay so I'm putting it simpler than most arguments would) but in the real world, WE are not average users. I'm willing to bet that most people posting today on these ubu-forums are probably the most tech-savy individuals in our families. Consider the size of your family and the ratio of you vs your family is? The rest of your family is the market share Linux is missing.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Mystic Ruin
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: What do you think is holding Linux/Ubuntu back at the moment?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiceMonster View Post
    I don't think you can narrow it down to one or two things. It's a lot more complex than that.
    I can. General Ignorance (which I suppose includes M$'s mis-info campaign), Insufficent Support from Third Party companies. (Granted this is of course slowly changing but still.) And a Flahship Distro, so that companies can focus producing on one Linux Distro oppose to countless many. Linux Developers can take whats produced to that distro and mod it to work on the rest.

    Side note I would like to see Ubuntu do the statistics thing like Fedora is doing. I mean companies would be more incline to make ports of their products to Linux if they can actually SEE that there are many Linux users. More often then not its not enough to say "yea there are a bunch of us" they want statistics not our word.
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Kent, UK
    Beans
    214

    Re: What do you think is holding Linux/Ubuntu back at the moment?

    Quote Originally Posted by ElSlunko View Post
    I mean...when you speak of market share it's not easy to gauge based on factors like awesome applications that apple or adobe makes. The market share for THOSE power users isn't as high as the average check-your-email-facebook-IM people. Sure we power users are more visible but I think the big market isn't as reliant on those factors.

    The factors that do lead to confidence in ANY product is visibility. We're pretty much invisible!

    I believe and feel that the desktop is ready. My father a native of Mexico who didn't use the family computer for ANYTHING untill a year ago started out on Ubuntu. Now mind you he's the type of user that types with one finger and stares at an icon for 10 seconds before clicking it (drives me up the wall, let me tell ya) and after a while I installed windows on that box (Don't remember why). After 6 months of using windows her PREFERRED ubuntu. So yeah, that's just one example, but I think it's a good one.

    Finally! It's just what people are used to. If you want to communicate over the MSN protocol, most people you ask will lead you to MSN messenger, not knowing the linux alternatives. Not getting clear & easy answers to common solutions will drive any average user away from a product.

    I've heard it say many times that CLI rocks and GUI sucks! (Okay so I'm putting it simpler than most arguments would) but in the real world, WE are not average users. I'm willing to bet that most people posting today on these ubu-forums are probably the most tech-savy individuals in our families. Consider the size of your family and the ratio of you vs your family is? The rest of your family is the market share Linux is missing.
    True, and the main reason I don't convert them is because well, a) it's too much hassle, and b) I do feel there are things that would not be sufficient for them on Ubuntu. Webcam, Wi-Fi support and the way things like repositories are added springs to mind... as does gaming ._.

    None of those bother me too much though personally
    Registered Ubuntu user #28880

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    on top of the world
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: What do you think is holding Linux/Ubuntu back at the moment?

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterNetra View Post
    More often then not its not enough to say "yea there are a bunch of us" they want statistics not our word.
    i dont think any statistics are accurate, MS may count me as a user of Windows as my netbook had xp on it, but i use Ubuntu. whatever MS shows as its "users" some of them must be using GNU/Linux or some alternative

    ive seen people put OSX on their dell mini 9's

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Beans
    202
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: What do you think is holding Linux/Ubuntu back at the moment?

    The most important thing that keeps people from using Linux is that they are not ready for changes, so they keep making up stupid excuses.

    People think that Linux is too complicated for every-day use, which is NOT TRUE. Once you understand how to install programs, using Linux becomes really easy =).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Kent, UK
    Beans
    214

    Re: What do you think is holding Linux/Ubuntu back at the moment?

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterNetra View Post
    And a Flagship Distro, so that companies can focus producing on one Linux Distro oppose to countless many. Linux Developers can take whats produced to that distro and mod it to work on the rest.
    At the moment it really is Ubuntu though, it's such a strong distribution... I mean just look at the figures on Distrowatch:

    1 Ubuntu 2104
    2 Fedora 1507
    3 Mint 1284
    4 openSUSE 1229
    5 Mandriva 895


    Ok the gap isn't quite as huge as I remember but it's still quite big lol
    Registered Ubuntu user #28880

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •