Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSD for OS?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

SSD for OS?

I am about to order parts for my new PC build. I was wondering, could I use a SSD for the OS installation?

Would this make loading apps etc any faster?

Aren't they like Flash Drives and have a limited amount of writes? Would this get used up super quick if an OS was installed on one?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: SSD for OS?

SSD is flash memory, making it much much faster to load things offline. And yes, you can indeed install an OS on it.
    .i coi rodo

Beans

Fast SSDs are fast, and slow SSDs are slow. They also have no moving parts and run cool and quiet. Good quality current-generation SSDs can handle many writes without wearing out. I do not use a swap partition on mine as a precaution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by dragos240 View Post
    SSD is flash memory, making it much much faster to load things offline. And yes, you can indeed install an OS on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Fast SSDs are fast, and slow SSDs are slow. They also have no moving parts and run cool and quiet. Good quality current-generation SSDs can handle many writes without wearing out. I do not use a swap partition on mine as a precaution.
    Thanks, I don't really understand the SWAP partition? Do you have one on another HDD instead anyway?

I was looking at a OCZ 30G Agility SSD 64M Cache, would this be a good choice?

Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by toejamfootball View Post
    Thanks, I don't really understand the SWAP partition? Do you have one on another HDD instead anyway?

I was looking at a OCZ 30G Agility SSD 64M Cache, would this be a good choice?

Thanks.
    I have 1gb of ram and seldom use more than 200mb, so I don't have a swap partition.

Sorry but I don't have any experience with that brand. My SSD is straight from the Dell factory (not sure who they get them from). It's kind of slow, but it was cheap. Good luck!
    Last edited by snowpine; September 17th, 2009 at 04:40 AM.

Beans

Post the link for the SSD please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    I have 1gb of ram and seldom use more than 200mb, so I don't have a swap partition.

Sorry but I don't have any experience with that brand. My SSD is straight from the Dell factory (not sure who they get them from). It's kind of slow, but it was cheap. Good luck!
    Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by PurposeOfReason View Post
    Post the link for the SSD please.
    Sure! Here you go.

Beans

This is all that matters really.
    Code:
    30GB Max Performance**        Read: Up to 185 MB/s        Write: Up to 100 MB/s        Sustained Write: Up to 60 MB/S 
    I would not settle for read under 215 or write under 120 with sw under 100. With OCZ get a vertex or summit, nothing else. This guy is on my i5 wishlist.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820609393

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Right now I ran a crap load of apps to see how much RAM my system would use. I am currently watching a video with VLC, listening to Mp3 using Exaile, installing Open Office from Add/Remove, editing a picture in GIMP, running firefox and Nautilus.

The memory usage at it's highest was ~420mb, out of a total of 2GB. Maybe I don't need a SWAP anyway?

EDIT: Thanks PurposeOfReason, I will look into the others, unfortunately though $200AUD is pretty much my budget for an SSD.

Looks like a Vertex 30 will set me back $200 exactly.
    Last edited by toejamfootball; September 17th, 2009 at 04:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by toejamfootball View Post
    Aren't they like Flash Drives and have a limited amount of writes? Would this get used up super quick if an OS was installed on one?
    My server runs off a flash drive, but all the data it serves is on a hard disk.

I don't see any problems with running your system off a 30 gig SSD; it should work fine. Don't put your swap on it (although, my netbook has swap on its very-slow SSD...).
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast