Thread: NO sound from PC connected to Samsung LE40A436

Beans

NO sound from PC connected to Samsung LE40A436

I’m not sure where to post this but feel free moderators to move it on.

My basic problem is I cannot get any sound of a collection of PCs connected up to my Samsung LE40A436T1DXXU (LE40A436) TV.

PC1) >> running Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop. Onboard sound card tested using Sennheiser PC 166 headphones – working.

PC2) >> running windows7 desktop. Onboard sound card tested using Sennheiser PC 166 headphones – working.

PC3) >> running Vista. Onboard sound card tested using Sennheiser PC 166 headphones – working.

If i plumb any 3 of this PCs into my TV via DVI / HDMI dongle into 1 of 3 HDMI ports at the back of the Samsung I get picture. No problem.

None of the PCs produce any sound from the Samsung though.. I’m fully aware there will be no sound passed over the DVI /HDMI connection.
    When I connect phono leads or headphones lead from one of the PCs into the TV i still get no sound. I’m at a loss why this is happening.

I have a 4th laptop and when i connect the HDMI directly into the TV I get sound and vision. Unfortunately I do not want this device hooked up to the TV.

Is this a TV issue? IS there anything i need to check.

One other thing, the TV gets its TV signal via coax feed. There are no other connections etc...

My main aim is to get a ubuntu PC rigged upto my TC as a HTPC. Hence the post here in this forums.

Beans

Re: NO sound from PC connected to Samsung LE40A436

got it working using the following procedure